V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Rubber mounted Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2000 FXDX about two months ago. At a speed of 100 miles/hour the bike starts woobling. I think it's very sensible to winds to. I've had a FXR for 2 years and don't have the same problems with this bike.

Anybody had the same problems´?. :confused:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yes my 2001 woobles at high speed . At 110 if I hit a cricket it will start to wooble. It was worse but I realined the rear wheel, then alined the front & back wheels (more like alined the back to the front) and it help. Oh course the old level I use was not the best way to do that but I use to not be able to do 90 one up. I will add it was my own falt for listening to the Harley dealer that told me to adjust my top motor mount to smooth the vibbes, it did that but my high speed handling went down the tubes. If the wheel alinement is right neck bearing tightness needs checking (fall away).

·
Rubber mounted Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The good thing about this forum is, that there are a lot off communication.

I've tried 3 different FXDX and they all had the same problem. All 3 came from the local HD dealer. The guys in their garage don't know **** about HD :(, so I have to contact another. I'm still under warranty and don't want to touch the bike my self.............yet :eek:

Drop in to see my homepage www.hdfxr.dk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 2000 FXDL, I have been to 120 and just beyond and have no wobble at all. If I had more road I could have told you when she started to wobbel but you should be good to 120 with no problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I can relate, same problem at higer speeds on my o1 fxdxt. Thing is seem's too come and go. I've had everything checked and comes up good each time. Also have fork brace. Starting think it is fickel to wind and road patterns at high speed more than my fxr was.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hmmmmm.
I have the same issue on my 02 FXDX but mine too comes and goes.
Seems that ive spoken to 2 other guys that had pre 2000 and they had NO wobble but 3 of us with 01's & 02's that DO.
When did they go to bigger rear tire on these. What was possibly changed in 01 as opposed to 00???
Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Id HATE to put a stabilizer on this bike!!!!

·
Rubber mounted Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
we're getting in to something

Right. From all the answers I've got it seems that the FXDX is the one which has the biggest problems regarding woobling. The 150 tire is, as far as I know standard on all FXDX and is standard on other Dynas from 2002.

The advices I've got until now is :cool: :

1. Check wheel alignment.
2. Check top engine mount.
3. Check rubbermount at swingarm.

Do you have the same feeling of sensibility to wind as I have on my FXDX. Even small puff of wind gets my FXDX to wooble :mad:

I don't think it has anything to do with 2000 versus 2001 models. The 3 FXDX I've been riding are all 2000 models and they all wooble.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
This could be unrelated, but according to American-V they moved to a shorter wheelbase and possibly rear swinging arm in 2002.

The info is:

"Even less obvious is a reduction of nearly 10mm in the wheelbase and overall length, which looks like a shorter swing-arm and more upright shocks."

at:

http://www.american-v.co.uk/roadtests/2002_models/fxdx/fxdx.html

At the same time the specs for the 2003 bikes suggest the wheelbase has now been lengthened again (from 1595 to 1605.3).

Does the Motoco know something we don't?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think that the neck bearing needs to be tighter than the "fall away" specs lets them. Also if the alignment is not spot on your pissing in the wind trying other things such as fork brace or different tires, surely that can help but all the peaces must come together for the Dyna's to have high speed stabilty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had a 2001 fxdx before I got ran over by a cage and I had the same problem. Was playing with a valkrie on a pretty good road with lots of corners and our speeds were 110 to 115 and I experienced the most wicked high speed wobble I have ever experienced on a motorcyle and I have been riding for 35 years. The worst part was I had to back out of it and the honda rider took great relish in that. Seriously though, it really burn`t me out on the bike.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Wow!

Has anyone experienced this on other current FX models?

I'm wondering if it could be a geometry-related thing resulting from the longer shocks.

Cheers

Mike

·
Rubber mounted Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shocks

Don't think it's shock related. One off the FXDX I've tried had Progressive 11½ inch. shocks and still did wooble.

My favorite for now is the alignment
:eek:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
This might help. I read it on the Delphi Dyna forum about strange noises rather than wobbles, but the frame twist reference and the earlier post in this thread about the handling going to pot after fiddling with the engine stabiliser makes me think it could be an engine centring / wheel alignment problem.

Anyway, here's the post (and hope it helps).

Cheers

Mike

>>>>>>>>>>

That's not in the proper context.
You are describing part of the wheel alignment procedure.

If the top stabilizer has been turned more than 5 times you THEN perform the engine mount loosening procedure to re-center the engine.
Then you complete the alignment.

A wheel alignment on a Dyna is a frame twist thing. You can't just loosen the motor mounts and recenter them and then fool with the top stabilzer. You need alignment tools.

<<<<<<<<<<<<

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hmmmm, I never fooled with the motor mounts but I did pull the rear tire to put axle caps on and polish the rotor.
What kind of wobble are we all talking here.
My wobble as measured from the end of the grips to the center line of the head bolt is about id say JUST under 1/4 inch.
Are some of you guys talking borderline tank slapper or what here.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I could not agree more with what Michael posted. If you mess with the top stabilizer in order to quill some vibes you will pay the price in handling. Trying to make it all right again is a pain, and yes you can end up with a paint slapper instead of a controlable 1/4" flex.

·
Rubber mounted Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Puncture

When I'm talking about wooble, I mean that it feels like my front wheel is punctured. Is it the same feeling you get.:confused:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have a 2001 SuperGlide. Haven't noticed any wobble at 100mph. Never been over 100mph on this bike and the road was straight and flat.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Yeah, a flat fron tire feeling is what I experience as well.
I have noticed that it happens more often on roads that have a "rut" in them from heavy load traffic.
When I get out of the rutted lane it flattens out and calms down considderably.
Last night I tested the theory and could not reproduce the wobble at all!!!!! It sat flat and flew straight.
Man, frustration is setting in. My bud wanted to see what it was doing from behind and I just could NOT get the damn thing to wobble. It will undoubtably do it this afternoon on the way home (I think the Gremlins are playing a game with me :)
Oh well, i'll keep at it and tell you all what opinions and diagnosises I get.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts