V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my little 74 SS350 running last night. I forgot how much fun it was to ride that thing. Turned some heads too. No one could figure out what the hell it was. Loud as hell, Says Harley Davidson on the tank but looks like a little honda. Wish I had a polaroid to catch some of the confused faces at the park n eat Burger Master. Priceless. :D I think I'm gonna sell my gsxr and get the trail version (xs) to match it. Hope I can find one.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to snag a digital camera from work today and post it tonight.

·
Registered
686 Posts
oh yea I remember that bike when I was a kid we all had trail bikes, Hondas, Yamahas, Bultacos and one guy had a Harley I think it was a 350 and was made in Italy is that the same bike? the motor was sticking straight out horizontal. I remember it because He was giving me a ride I ran out of gas , he hit a slot in a wooden bridge and flipped the bike we landed on a wet grassy slope and slid a ways, I didn't even spill the gas. We got his bike going and continued on our way, if that happened today I would be in the hospital for a month. safe riding rickpoco

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea there were two styles, the street style and the offroad style. They were built in italy by Aermeracchi for Harley Davidson to cover the european Singles(one lungers) scene. The production of the street version was kept around 5,000 bikes a year in the forst half of the 70's. My grandpops bought one new and it sat in the crate it came in for 10 years. Me and my dad put it togeather for him. He rode it a half a dozen times and gave it to my Dad. My dad rode it about the same and gave it to me. Now I have a stock bike except for the clutch cable and throttle assembly. with under 4,000 miles on it. BTW if any one ever runs into a carb, throttle or electric start for one please let me know. here is a pic of what one looks like, It's not mine as I couldn't snag up a camera this weekend.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
One of my first bikes was a Sprint. This guy http://www.elscom.com/hdsprint/ has restored a 74 - that yellow paint on his "after" pictures is like the one I had. Except he has different tank graphics. My old one had a regular H-D logo.

The downfall of my Sprint was the clutch. I owned that one well before developing any decent mechanical skills, otherwise I may have been able to keep it going. After burning through one set I couldn't find any service parts. My Dad and I scrounged a junker for $50 and I managed to salvage enough discs from the 2 clutch packs to get the clutch grabbing for a few thousand more miles. When that one went out that was pretty much the end of the line. Since the kick starter fed thru the clutch, I couldn't even start it once in a while to keep the engine in shape. My dad eventually sold that bike for a couple hundred and that was that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts