V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 road king FLHTI started out with back firing and would cut out at interstate speed plugs would foul thought it was cam chain tensioner open cam cover and no chains now it turns over and won’t start I have no clue what the problem is and I also have no clue what pipes are on it would help with the tune

·
Registered
954 Posts
What does no chains mean? When doing your snooping around, did you pop off the pushrod tube clips to look for adjustables?

I'm just guessing you haven't owned the bike since new. In the time you've had it, did it run good and this just start? What was the most recent work done before the problem started? What have you done to it since you got the bike? It is a 20 year old bike. Lots of old parts that could need to be freshened up.

Since you are injected, that was still in the MM days. MM means Magneti Marelli. It's what Harley used before switching to Delphi. Most people don't want to fool with these older systems anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does no chains mean? When doing your snooping around, did you pop off the pushrod tube clips to look for adjustables?

I'm just guessing you haven't owned the bike since new. In the time you've had it, did it run good and this just start? What was the most recent work done before the problem started? What have you done to it since you got the bike? It is a 20 year old bike. Lots of old parts that could need to be freshened up.

Since you are injected, that was still in the MM days. MM means Magneti Marelli. It's what Harley used before switching to Delphi. Most people don't want to fool with these older systems anymore.
No chains it had a gear drive put in all I have done is replace the battery and lights and strip the front finder windshield crash bars and change the seat oh oil change I don’t know what has been done to it before I got it I’ve othad it a couple months it does have adjustable push rods

·
Super Moderator
21,236 Posts
No one can sort it out based on what you posted. You need to see if it has spark, fuel to the cylinders and compression. That has to be done at the scooter.

First thing I would do is squirt a little fuel down the suck hole, then see if it will fire off for a moment when you crank it over.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sorry, I had to ask. What I was mostly getting at, was did it run good when you first got it? And then start acting up? As opposed to you bought it like it is, and it has never run right.

I pretty much knew it had gear drive cams (not stock) and adjustable pushrods. There aren't too many other options. Probably has head work, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. It might even be big bore. None of this stuff you can tell from just looking at the motor, it's all internal. But they are all pretty much standard things someone would have done to pick up some good HP back when this bike was modded.

Something else to look for. Since it's FI, does it have a piggy back controller hooked up to the ECM? Something like a PCIII or maybe a PCV? Have to remove the seat and look for something along those lines. They were and still are pretty common.

And since you didn't get the Reader's Digest version of the bike's life history, you will be doing a lot of discovering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I had to ask. What I was mostly getting at, was did it run good when you first got it? And then start acting up? As opposed to you bought it like it is, and it has never run right.

I pretty much knew it had gear drive cams (not stock) and adjustable pushrods. There aren't too many other options. Probably has head work, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. It might even be big bore. None of this stuff you can tell from just looking at the motor, it's all internal. But they are all pretty much standard things someone would have done to pick up some good HP back when this bike was modded.

Something else to look for. Since it's FI, does it have a piggy back controller hooked up to the ECM? Something like a PCIII or maybe a PCV? Have to remove the seat and look for something along those lines. They were and still are pretty common.

And since you didn't get the Reader's Digest version of the bike's life history, you will be doing a lot of discovering.
It has a power commander 3 it took a couple weeks to start acting up

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Well it's like already said,, I can only reaffirm what has been recommended..
Either check the pushrods first,, or start with fuel fire and compression,,

·
Registered
7 Posts
It has a power commander 3 it took a couple weeks to start acting up
I have a 2000 FLHTCUI that blew the fuel pump 5 years ago. That's where you should start work MM. Do you heard the pump whine when the key is turned on? If so, pull the fuel feed line on the throttle body and see if fuel shoots out when the key is on (cover with a rag so you don't get soaked).
If that's ok, you have fuel to the iNjectors.
Squirt some starting fluid or fuel directly into throttle body. See if it starts.
Remove the power Commander. See if it starts.
If none of the above works, check the TPS.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Pull the power commander first thing. They have been known to fail. It's a no cost diagnosis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2000 FLHTCUI that blew the fuel pump 5 years ago. That's where you should start work MM. Do you heard the pump whine when the key is turned on? If so, pull the fuel feed line on the throttle body and see if fuel shoots out when the key is on (cover with a rag so you don't get soaked).
If that's ok, you have fuel to the iNjectors.
Squirt some starting fluid or fuel directly into throttle body. See if it starts.
Remove the power Commander. See if it starts.
If none of the above works, check the TPS.
I opened the tank it was full of **** and the sock on the pump was almost black

1 - 12 of 12 Posts