V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back some of my springer bretherin were complaining about front end wobble between about 35 and 42 mph when they took their hands off of the bars. I have tried tighten and loosened the neck bearing nut, but still can not get it to stop.
I was wanting to know of any of the guys out there ever got theirs taken care of and what the final cause was. Thanks.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
What springer do they have and how many miles are on them.
The older EVO FXSTS steering head bearing were good for about 10k~15k miles, do not know about the newer bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I had that problem on my Heritage, but only on decel; 50 mph was OK, as soon as it got to about mid-40 mph, it would wobble down to about 35 or so. Just lived with it until I hit a piece of road debris and slit the sidewall of my front tire.

Replaced tire and the problem went away. Just something else to consider.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
My freind who replaced my tires, I bought them online. told me if a tire is out of balance it would do the death wobble, that's his words not mine. he's an old time biker who knows his chit. no wobble here. not sure if that's your problem or not.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
LittleBear said:
What springer do they have and how many miles are on them.
The older EVO FXSTS steering head bearing were good for about 10k~15k miles, do not know about the newer bikes.
Got 24k on mine and they are fine...I'm told the cause most often found is improper tire inflation...it causes uneven wear so if you fill 'em up to the correct pressure it may be too late...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
put 40 psi in them and see if it goes away

·
Registered
521 Posts
I threw a weight off my front wheel this weekend and Monday on the way to work I picked up a near terminal wobble. The bike is in the shop getting the front wheel rebalanced.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
it may be me you were speaking of with the wobble.??? anyway, mine ended up being loose spokes.....and center hub bearings were shot. i had a wobble thru the whole bike on decel, and a feeling of slipage when going round corners. don't recall anything at any certain speeds though, but it is another place for you to check off on the list of things to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts