V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used WIX oil filters. They look like decent filters and are available under a variety of brand names.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Wix makes very good filters. They are constructed very well internally. Years ago I cut many filters apart and Wix stuck out because of what I seen inside the can. Without any lab equipment I couldn't tell what it might catch though. I get a little upset with the guys on the internet that do a laymans filter study and make judgements on what they see with the naked eye when it comes to the filter medium. Unless they use a microscope and then do some flow testing on a bench plus test how much debris it will trap it in meaningless. The naked eye can only see down to 40 micron sized particles. 40 microns is about half the diameter of human hair, well may be not mine.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply George. I was in a bind for a filter and the only thing I could find quickly was a Carquest 85348, which is a WIX filter.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Most of the oil filter test I see agree the Wix/Napa filters to be good stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
SKUNKY said:
I've used the Wix # 52115 on my Evo for over 10 years..no problems..it's a 28 micron filter
28 micron at what effieciency percentage? Harley filters have a 10 micron at nominal and now a 5 micron nominal rating, which means 5 or 10 at 50%. Actually the 28 micron could be a better filter if it is above 98% at 28 microns versus 5 or 10 at 50%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts