2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 Heritage
95"
SE251 cams
Baisley prostreet port job
Have the PCIII

Before the dyno tune;

Do I still need to purchase a $150 map update? One dealer says no, 2 others say yes. One of those says it should be the stage I update the other says there is one for a 95", 251 cam and head upgrade.

I got the feeling this was incase the PCIII failed.

Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Not an expert here but I've been reading and following all I can on the Power Commander (PC III) and the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT).

My take is that if you are not ready to have a good dyno tune done, then you are better off going with the PC III, they seem to have more maps that could match up with your set up. http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ seems to be a very good choice for purchase of the PC III for several reasons. 1) They double the warranty on the PC III. 2) They want to talk to you to see what modifications you have done to your scoot, so they can pre-load the PC III to get as close to your needs as possible. 3) I've heard nothing but good feed back about their support.

If you have your bike already broke in and are ready for a good run on the dyno then the SERT is the way to go. I know some that have bought their bike new, had the mods done and dyno tuned before they ever pick it up the bike, however I'd prefer to have 1000 to 5000 miles before doing a dyno tune. The SERT has a few advantages as well, 1) It is a Harley Davidson part, 2) The SERT is a tool to actually change the program map on the ECU, not just an interface to work with the ECU like the PC III.

I don't know if it's 50/50 on the choices out there but both ways will work and your needs and particular desires play a big part in which direction you want to go, cause both will work just fine. The ultimate do it right is to have the bike put on a dyno, no matter which tuner you use.

·
Registered
503 Posts
PC USB-vs-SERT

no, you do not nead to pay for a stage I or II download
While both units work well

I like pc usb-on my dyno I can custom map a pc in 30 min,45 min if I split map ....I did a sert unit two days back, took two hrs +...also last year someone here in town crashed their ECM (probably their fault) hauled it to dealer to get ECM reloaded.
My 01 FLHTCUI 80,000 miles 94 hp,102 TQ has had PC from day one...I have updated as new units came out only to help sales (also the PC USB is a great unit)-2$en#e-

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno Man :cheers:

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I agree with Steve, the guy who dyno'ed my bike prefers the PC and for the same reasons as Steve. By the way this tuner was HIGHLY recommended to me by HDWrench. From my point of view the PC is much cheaper, and the tuning is much cheaper to get done. Most places will dyno tune a PC for $200-$250 while a SERT tune can run $350 plus.

Joe

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
To give conflicting answers a fair chance you have to know why they are saying yes or no. That being said, I go along with your thoughts that the HD cd down load for your bike would give you a closer than stock set up should the Power Commander III fail and you want to take it out of the loop. So far I haven't read anyone post that a Harley Davidson CD down load did not leave the bike in a lean running condition, or not require additional help with either the addition of a SERT(and DYNO tune) or even changing the injectors.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all the feedback, it kind of lead where I thought it would. The tech. at the dealership told me, "it has to be changed to do it right". This was in contradiction with the service writer. He first told me it was for a back up if the PC failed. I had told him not to worry about the back up and this is where he passed me to the tech. I would have had it done if they would have had it in stock.

It's amazing how much you learn the hard way. Looking back, I should have started reading the forum about 2 months before buying the bike. Nope, I did it the expensive way, probably like most that start out.

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
It's amazing how much you learn the hard way. Looking back, I should have started reading the forum about 2 months before buying the bike.
Good idea, and I was lurking for at least 4 months, and it doesn't matter, until you actually get your bike. I thought mine would be different, I can't/couldn't/wouldn't believe HD would put out a product that turns your pipes blue with less than 100 miles, but Now I know differently.............I should have known that a Road King Custom meant I needed to customize the bike. :)

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
ceraaa42 said:
I appreciate all the feedback, it kind of lead where I thought it would. The tech. at the dealership told me, "it has to be changed to do it right". This was in contradiction with the service writer. He first told me it was for a back up if the PC failed. I had told him not to worry about the back up and this is where he passed me to the tech. I would have had it done if they would have had it in stock.

It's amazing how much you learn the hard way. Looking back, I should have started reading the forum about 2 months before buying the bike. Nope, I did it the expensive way, probably like most that start out.

Thanks again,

Chris
hey Chris, you spent alot of $$, I'd go ahead and get the SERT. From now til end of month Latus has 20% off parts and labor includes the dyno/custom map w/sert.... also if your bike isn't broke in, they'll do the dyno break-in for only a few bucks more w/sert & custom map Plus, they have probably the best tuner in the PNW
By the way, you don't have to do the download if yer using pcIII but yer gonna need it if you want to raise your rev limit and with that combo, you're gonna want to raise it, trust me!

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
The Power Commander IIIusb can be set up with the Rev X-tend option to raise the redline to 6,200 rpm. $40 + shipping.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
adlerx said:
hey Chris, you spent alot of $$, I'd go ahead and get the SERT. From now til end of month Latus has 20% off parts and labor includes the dyno/custom map w/sert.... also if your bike isn't broke in, they'll do the dyno break-in for only a few bucks more w/sert & custom map Plus, they have probably the best tuner in the PNW
By the way, you don't have to do the download if yer using pcIII but yer gonna need it if you want to raise your rev limit and with that combo, you're gonna want to raise it, trust me!
The tech at Latus was the one that told me I had to have the MAP or it would not work right. This was not Mike, but I think his asst. At this point I kind of lost faith in Latus. Took it to Paradise and had it done. Maybe it's not 100% of whats available, be it runs damn good.

Hp 93.07, Tq 95.48 corrected numbers in 4th. They said since in only has 500 miles on the top end it will probable come up some when completely broke in.

I'm not worried about raising the limiter, I just don't ride that hard. I just wanted the extra power for 2up and it's fun coming down the freeway on-ramp. It also sounds great!

Chris

·
Registered
503 Posts
Raise Rev Limiter

SEDELUXE05 said:
with that cam you might want to think twice about raising the rev limiter
I agree ...if you looked at dyno sheet, stock or close to stock cams lay down at 5200-5500 RPM time to shift....

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno Man :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Power Commander

Hey Guys,

I just got an Email back from Dusty at Power Commander and he told me they have a new upgrade to their PCIII for an '06 Dyna that raises the Rev limiter to 6200.. Cost is $20.00.. Beats the hell out of a 150.00 at the Stealership>>> Greg

·
Even my cologne is chrome
87 Posts
ghillman said:
Hey Guys,

I just got an Email back from Dusty at Power Commander and he told me they have a new upgrade to their PCIII for an '06 Dyna that raises the Rev limiter to 6200.. Cost is $20.00.. Beats the hell out of a 150.00 at the Stealership>>> Greg
According to their site, it is $20 if you send it back to them for a one time upgrade (which is all you would need). But if you don't want to send it back, or if you want to do multiple PCIIIs, it is $40.

See the links to the web site and other info about version numbers which already have the update in this other helpful thread posted by ELECTROSTATIC:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71617

-MFB

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Whilst there is a thread running from a question point of view I might as well pipe up.

I've also been reading up of the EFI tuners for a couple of month's now, I'm in the UK and there doesn't seem the same access to harley specailist Dyno's over here, as you might expect...

Does the SERT need a dyno, my intention is to go 95" with moderate compression, I'll' move to geared cams but not too hot, and the pipes will likely be V+H radius with a big sucker on the intake. Is this the sort of setup a preconfigured map would sort out or is the Dyno tuning a must?

:sofa:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts