V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I have a 2012 ******* engineering rocket that I'm in the process of rewiring the ignition on and the wiring diagram shows a jumper wire but doesn't explain where it goes if anybody knows where to attached too I would really appreciate it?

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Auto part

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What's the issue, your diagram shows it pretty clear, you have a hot wire that comes from the key switch to the positive side of one coil which then goes to the positive side of the other coil and also a feed to the ignition system. It all seems to be clearly labeled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The jumper wire shows it only attached to the front cylinder and nothing else the diagram has two pictures of the same coil and it shows it only connected to the front coil. The red line i added to clarify what i was talking about.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The diagram you show clearly states dual fire, dual plug. That means each cylinder has two spark plugs for a total of four, it will also require two coils. The diagram you post shows two coils, not one.
Perhaps this isn't the ignition system you think you have. Re-examine the instructions, there are other ways this system gets wired for using one coil and single plug cylinders.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
The jumper wire shows it only attached to the front cylinder and nothing else the diagram has two pictures of the same coil and it shows it only connected to the front coil. The red line i added to clarify what i was talking about.
You didn't need to put your red line on the diagram,,, it clearly already has a black line labeled jumper wire that carries incoming voltage to both coils.

·
Super Moderator
23,005 Posts
The jumper is just a continuation of the red wire. It carries system power from the +term of the left coil to the + term of the right coil.

Not sure what that's on, but its two dual fir coils firing independently. So it fire two, and then fires the other two at another point.

Could be a twin with dual plug heads. Or could be a 4 cylinder with single plugs per cylinder. Based on the text, its a dual plug twin. firing both plugs in the cylinder with no stagger or temp correction.

·
Super Moderator
23,005 Posts
Here is a couple pictures of my ignition coil. I have thecompufire ignition model number 21835 the engine is a S&S EVO 124" super sidewinder.

These are my choices besides the crane ignition
View attachment 274020
From what I see in the photos, single dual fire coil, single plug heads, figure 10 is how you would wire it.

The In figure 12, the Crain set up is just a generic single fire coil.

You prolly should consider determining what the required ohms are for coils used by that system, then odrer a single fire coil. Then Wire it like figure 12.

Also, its not mentioned, but with a 124, you'll want to be damn sure it has a working VOES on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I see in the photos, single dual fire coil, single plug heads, figure 10 is how you would wire it.

The In figure 12, the Crain set up is just a generic single fire coil.

You prolly should consider determining what the required ohms are for coils used by that system, then odrer a single fire coil. Then Wire it like figure 12.

Also, its not mentioned, but with a 124, you'll want to be damn sure it has a working VOES on it.
When I bought the bike it wasn't using the VOES the wire diagram states if not used the RPM limiter will still function or am I asking for trouble? Is your suggestion for ordering a single fire coil just in case one stops firing I'm able to still get home or is there more too it? Just to give a run down when I bought the bike it ran fine. I added an extra fuel circuit for wide open throttle due to bogging down and I decided to have the handle bars extended for comfort which was a good idea because after removing the tank i found a rats nest of wires and decided to rewire the whole bike with fuses and the only thing am not sure about is the ignition. I attached a picture of the rats nest of wire and the new dc bus I'm using now.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the wire diagram I drew up but I make changes as I go I've never rewired a whole bike so I'm taking my time. Since as you guys pointed out I was using the wrong wire diagram for the ignition I will have to make changes there so thanks for catching that!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,005 Posts
When I bought the bike it wasn't using the VOES the wire diagram states if not used the RPM limiter will still function or am I asking for trouble? Is your suggestion for ordering a single fire coil just in case one stops firing I'm able to still get home or is there more too it? Just to give a run down when I bought the bike it ran fine. I added an extra fuel circuit for wide open throttle due to bogging down and I decided to have the handle bars extended for comfort which was a good idea because after removing the tank i found a rats nest of wires and decided to rewire the whole bike with fuses and the only thing am not sure about is the ignition. I attached a picture of the rats nest of wire and the new dc bus I'm using now.
The VOES reduces detonation and keeps it from beating the pistons and rod bearing up. Retards the spark a little under very high engine loads. People take them off because they look like the emissions vacuum switches they saw on their old Fords.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts