V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a '98 Heritage Springer and want to change the handlebars to give me three inches of rise plus a little pull-back. I have stock bars on at present.
I think I can beat my mechanic's quote of 700.00 or so to change the bars by doing it myself.
I can readily see that I will need longer clutch/throttle cables and brake line to get 'er done myself.
But, I'm clueless as to how I would extend the stock handlebar wiring for turn signals, starter, dimmer switch, etc.
Anybody give me a clue?
Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
handlebars

bakintheday,
I have a 2002 RK. I switched my bars out to chubby bars and did the work myself. After spending several hours of cutting, sottering, and heat shrinking 6 inch extensions in the handlebar wiring harness, I found out that there are venders out there that sell the extension kits. I think that even HD has one for sale. The clutch cable may be long enough, measure it first. All told, the work was not that difficult just time consuming. Good luck.
p.s. You'll love the change when you get the new bars on!

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
I just did mine and did the cut and splice thing. Pulled the wires thru the bars, (Wild1 513's - almost too easy) cut, soldered, shrink wrapped the joints in about an hour of work, not counting taking the bars off the bike. You can buy the extension kits here http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2006HarleyCatalog/0808.html if you want to spend the $$ and avoid the hassle. Should save 45 minutes or so, not counting how long you'll have to wait to get them shipped.
Be generous in your estimate of how much wire to add, especially if you run the wires inside the bars. The bars I put on are basically stock height and about 1 1/2" wider on each side and I had to add about 4 inches of wire to make the wires fit and follow the stock routing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks....!

Edd, Fourstar....

I really thank you for the advice. I've got a J and P catalog right here and I think I'll go that route with the wiring.
Thanks for the other tips as well....I think I'll get on this and save myself some money.
Thanks again...

·
Back In Black
182 Posts
There is a great article in the "Wrench's Garage" section of Bikernet. It shows how to splice the handlebar wires to extend them. Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the site or I would have provided a link.

MAC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts