V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all of you electricians out there, i just got one of those side mount plate mounts, and it didn't come with a wiring diagram. granted that wouldn't do me alot of good, as i can never figure those things out. the plate mount has 3 wires black (ground i'm guessing), blue (switched power??) and orange with a white stripe (brake light??). if some one out there has wired one of these up any info / tips would be wonderful. the more detailed the better, as i really don't want to fu(k this up.

thanks in advance

Josh

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
connect the black to the negative terminl on your battery, then touch one of the other wires to the positive terminal. Then remove it and try the other wire. Which ever one lights up the brightest, is the brake light.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
first figure out which wires on the light do what.

Then when removing your old light, disconnect only 1 wire and then see what part of the light doesn't work. For example, disconnect the red wire then if the brake light doesn't work, the red wire goes to the brake light on the new light. Also don't run the wires from the end of the existing wires. Trace them back to where they are at the frame and pull the wire back to there and re-route them to the new light location.

Feel free to ask any questions, I can talk you through the entire process.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok the blue is definatly the switched power, and the orange/white is the brake. i have to amit i'm kinda leary about doing this, as i have never done wiring like this before. if you could tell me the color on hte OEM harness that i need to tap that would be great. i have all the soder (sp), heat shrink tubing and zip ties ready, since i want this to be a clean, and factory looking install.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
use some 3m scotchlock t-tap connectors (like the ones Kuryakyn includes in their kits) and tap in to the main harness under the seat, colors should be the same.
Run the wire harness from the plate mount under/behind the lower swingarm and up along/behind the plastic rear inner fender and out under the seat and they'll be invisible. 'Least, that's what I did and it works great.
I also have a Back-Off module installed, but tapped the plate mount lights in before that so it wouldn't be confused with a turn signal by motorists behind me.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
apache36 said:
i've used those before under the dash in some of my cars, but they seem a little shady for something like this.

josh
If you still need help, the offer stands. I would not suggest using scotch locks, they allow the wire to oxidize and will eventually cause problems.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
springer thanks i tinkered with it today for a while, and got the harness figured out. i've been working on my sodering skills for a week or so when i have time. so all i really have left to do is figure out where i want to tap the harness so it looks like a clean install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts