V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'mcleaning up the rear fender. Moving plate to axle mount and I need to run 3 wire bunch to rear light harness under seat. What is the better wire for this? Wire on plate holder is not but 1' long or so. Also, should I splice wires or use a clip type connector into the wires for ground, running light, brake light. I am not very good at electrical, thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Wire at a Marine supply is usually tinned copper. This wire resist corrosion much better than plain copper. Are the connectors you are talking about the type that they use to wire small trailers? On this type you stick your new wire in and lay the old wire across some teeth that crimp it all together when you close a plastic snap. These are very vulnerable to corrosion, UV and vibration. My suggestions would be soldered connections or good quality crimped connectors and heat shrink tubing over both.

Tom

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Tom, that is what I was talking about. Thanks for suggestions, really appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
soldered connections

NAPA and most other auto parts stores have electrical connectors that you heat and the solder in the connectors melts to make a soldered wire splice. Then the heat also shrinks the plastic connector covering to make a watertight seal on the wires. The process is not complicated but it can be frustrating as it is easy to melt the connector covering.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I like a Westren Union splice, soldered and heat shrunk. There is no mechanical connection in the pre-fabed solder connectors. Probably age and remembering a time when I made hundreds of solder connections has me a bit biased. Of course, heat shrink tubing wasn't available for another 20 years!

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts