V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Like it or not, it's comming

I also was thinking about the winterizing issue this past week. Although I do ride all year long, the NE and it's snow and SALT do keep me off the road for extended periods of time. It's often 3-4 weeks where the roads have a covering of snow, although the last few years have been mild. Once the salt hits the road, it is normally weeks before it has rained enough to make the roads clear again. I usually prep the bike with a fresh oil change early November, (it's not the existing moisture as much as acidic combustion products in the oil), and always keep the tank full (seldom does bad weather come as a total surprise). When the bike is doomed to reside in the garage for a few weeks. I:
 Make sure the bike is clean
 Add stabol to the tank
 Run the carb dry,
 Remove all leather (I'd hate to find that my seat was dinner for some mouse)
 Place the bike on a few 6X6s to get the rubber of the floor.
 Plug in the battery tender.
 Cover the bike is an old cotton bed sheet.
When the salt & ice are gone, it'll take less then 10 min to be back on the road. When I do ride however, I make sure it's for at least 1/2 hr or so to get the oil good and hot.

· Registered
125 Posts
Fogging oil is a petroleum product with a 'high ambient vapor pressure". That is, it remains in the gas phase much better then standard lubricating oils. Since it is in more readily dispersed, it will do a much better job of coating the inside of your engine. You should be able to find it at any automotive parts house, or any marina. I use the stuff in my boat every year. I also use an old set of sparkplugs which I clean & start the engine in the spring, once all oil is burnt off, I replace the plugs with new ones for the season. I don't use it on my bike since i don't normally put it up that long

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.