V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
---
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this belongs in the oil forum but....

Out of curiosity,
The given reason for changing the engine/transmission /primary oil prior to winter storage is "acids in the oil".

I can see an acid buildup in the engine oil due to the by-products of combustion, but how could there be an acid buildup in the sealed primary and transmission?

Just wondering.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I agree with your thinking...there may be some exchange of air and thus some humidity or moisture getting in the tranny and primary oil but it would be very minimal. If you're using a quality oil (who doesn't) the additive package will neutralize the acids. But what the hell do I know?? I also agree on changing the engine oil...combustion by-products create much more acid.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Swodo, I'll move it to the oil forum. Lets see what the oil techies say.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I dont think its merely acids, but in many cases it will be. Humidity in the oils, if left to their own devices over a couple of months, do some damage also.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The primary and tranny are not sealed. They are vented. This combined with heating and cooling causes water to condense in the units. Riding the bike brings things up to temp and causes the water to evaporate and be expelled out the vents, at least most of it.
Your are correct about the engine and acid build up, but I perfer to change the tranny and primary oil at the beginniing of the season to remove any water built up during storage. My -2$en#e-

·
Registered
81 Posts
???????

I have heard about changing the oil before you put it into storage, but I would think that during the storage period, it would build up condensation in cold garages and such! Does this mean then you would need to change it again come spring? Just wondering????

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
a twist on the original question

Ok...heres a question for you all. I'll have about 1500-2000 miles on my oil when I put it away for winter...I have plans to install an oil cooler and do some other work this winter too...Would you leave the oil in the motor, or drain it out and leave it empty until the work is done?

·
---
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a fellow Minnesotan, I asume your garage will be similar to mine- cold and damp.
If you're disassembling the engine, I would spray the parts with WD-40.
Otherwise, change the oil if the cases are going to sit.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
swodo said:
As a fellow Minnesotan, I asume your garage will be similar to mine- cold and damp.
If you're disassembling the engine, I would spray the parts with WD-40.
Otherwise, change the oil if the cases are going to sit.
The cold is no longer a problem for me in the winter. Last fall, my father in law installed a furnace in the shop where we store our bikes and work on them in the winter.

Its nice that my baby can be spoiled for the winter months since I have no garage, and must rely on my bike cover for some minimal protection.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
SeaHag,
I would leave the oil in the motor until you are ready to do the work. The anti acid additives in the oil will take care of any build up in the oil.
Drain the oil, do the work, use the proper assembly lube, put fresh oil in her and take it for a ride in the snow:roflback: Damn winters up north are a bitch arn't they?
Good luck with your mods.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
1,000 miles?

I've put a little over a thousand miles since I last changed the fluids. I'm gonna store the bike the way it is (T.Bagger) without changing them again. Last time it wuz rid, we went a couple hundred miles. Plenty long enough to dissapate any moisture. However, my buddy found a sh*t load of water in his tranny when he changed it last. I have no idea what frequency he changes stuff, but I doubt he does it according to specs. (I posted a thread on that subject).
Oh yeah, I'm running Syn 3 this time around. I'll go back to Amsoil next service.....

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Change your oil at regular intervals. Unless your oil has 15 or 20 thousand miles on it and is grimey or milkey, storage won't hurt it. Oil with a few thousand miles on it won't hurt a thing. Oil that is sitting in an engine or vented transmission ain't gonna mix with the air in the vent tube. It's a motor not a Rembrandt museum piece.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
I've put a little over a thousand miles since I last changed the fluids. I'm gonna store the bike the way it is (T.Bagger) without changing them again. Last time it wuz rid, we went a couple hundred miles. Plenty long enough to dissapate any moisture. However, my buddy found a sh*t load of water in his tranny when he changed it last. I have no idea what frequency he changes stuff, but I doubt he does it according to specs. (I posted a thread on that subject).
Oh yeah, I'm running Syn 3 this time around. I'll go back to Amsoil next service.....
Have you considered the possibility that the water in your buddies bike might have come from the last time he washed the bike. A lot of damage to machinery comes from trying to make them shine. I knew a guy that had a lot of wheel bearing problems due to him pressure washing his wheels. Soemtimes we are our worst enemies.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well what happened to riding the damn things, I do :bleh:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
He hardly ever washes it

I accused him of power washing it and he sez he never has. (It looks it, too)
He sez he hose washes it once a month. Never details it. Does ride it alot though....45,000 miles and it's a '04 bought in the spring of that year. He's not very mechanically inclined neither. I know he changes the fluids, but not if to specs. I believe he had the 5,000 mile service from the dealer and that was the last one. He was asking me about lubing the clutch cable last time I saw him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts