V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's Spring but I'm fixin to move to Upstate NY soon and still want to ride thru the winter when the roads are clear. The biggest problem as I understand it would be the salt on the roads. How do y'all in the colder climates or those along the coast deal with that; just clean the bike well after the ride? I refuse to put my bike up for a whole winter.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
No salt experience here as we had a basically snow free winter here in Central Mass but we occasionally got some icy road conditions that required sanding. The sand sucks. Causes very slippery conditions for a two-wheeler and also blows in your face when another vehicle passes you. Just be cautious.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just worried about salt eating up the bike. Went to Daytona for Biketoberfest last year. Stayed in a motel right on the beach. Had rust inside the rack and all over the brake disc within a week. Would be concerned about that riding in the winter until the Spring rains wash the roads off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
salt..

i just give mine a really good cleaning with warm to hot water and heavy soap. that usually gets the salt and stuff off and i spray inside the fenders with a heavy stream of water...also i go heavy on the wax....

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
SALT.

mustangNM,

I had the salt experience with my '89FLSTC. It took 7 years to rust out the fenders. I thought I was getting in there with the spray wash, but the salt still got in there.
With the next set of fenders, I applied undercoating [several coats] to the underside of the fenders.
It was considered an extreme measure by some, but I never had a problem with salt getting in there anymore.
Unless you are are actually going to be riding in winter condictions all the time, I would not be too concerended about it.
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I admire your tenacity,mustangNM.

I'm up in Maine & as much as I hate to I know when it's time to put my baby to sleep for the winter.Ditto for my friends.

Heated gloves, vests,etc., are always an option for some, & more power to these folks, but riding to me should be a pleasure, -30 below wind chill factors to me suck the fun right out of it!

I would spray the underside of the fenders with WD-40 or like product, & as electrified said go heavy on the wax.

Sorry I couldn't help you out more, not trying to discourage you either.As they say,different
strokes.

By the way,keep up the posts, it's cool to see a new member jump right in.
guido

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Road salt...

Hey mustangNM,

I'll post your welcome here out of sheer lazyness. Great folks around here! Best board on the web in my opinion.

I've lived in Upstate NY all my life and have put up with the lousy winters. I know first hand of what road salt does to precious iron and it isn't pretty. I store my bike, truck and car in the winter months. Winter beaters are a common thing around here.

Once a vehicle is exposed to salt brine, you can never remove all of the residue. It permiates every nook and cranny. Even the residual dust in early spring will have it's way with your ride. Washing and waxing helps but water will carry the salt into areas that you'll never access where it will morph into tin termites which will eat the bejeezus out of your pride and joy.

Since I can beat metal and paint, the rust repair isn't all that tough but i still don't drive anything in the winter that I hold dear.

Later,

Mike

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. Born and raised in the Syracuse area but it's been many years since I 've been back. I remember "winter rats" people always had. Still hoping something might happen with the wifes employer that will forestall a move. Love the countryside up there but been living too long in warmer climates and have gotten used to year round riding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another point to consider is this......there are alot of folks who don't know how to drive in the winter weather, and if you think drivers are bad in the good weather, you should see them in the snow and ice!! This will put you at a great safety risk...drivers are not going to figure on seeing a dude on 2 wheels tooling down the road......be careful if this is something you decide to do after October!

Keep the wind in your back!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm in Northeastern PA and we park our bikes when the colder weather starts, usually park them from October to April.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts