V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking that I want to have my sportster repainted a glossy black color from its factory grey. I have a place that has been recommended to me with good references.

Is it a big deal to remove the fenders and gas tank? I don't have a clymer's manual or anything like that and I should probably get one. I wonder if it tells how to remove those parts I want painted.

Anyone else do a project like this?

patsue

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No big deal.Check out E-bay for some factory black sets, might be about $200 bucks. Then you got two sets...

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you just want it a solid color you should consider painting it yourself.
You need about 3 11 0z cans of paint(I like laquor) 4 cans of clear coat 400 grit wet sand paper and tack cloth.
All you do is sand your sticker smooth on the edges and knock the clear off till all surfaces are dull. It's a simple self gratifying job.
Will cost under 50.00 and take 2days max, just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
No way man, go with about 10 coats of Crylon flat black. Since my paint job is starting to show age, that's what I was going to do to convince myself to get it repainted.

·
Registered
875 Posts
newhere said:
If you just want it a solid color you should consider painting it yourself.
You need about 3 11 0z cans of paint(I like laquor) 4 cans of clear coat 400 grit wet sand paper and tack cloth.
All you do is sand your sticker smooth on the edges and knock the clear off till all surfaces are dull. It's a simple self gratifying job.
Will cost under 50.00 and take 2days max, just my 2cents
95 FXST said:
No way man, go with about 10 coats of Crylon flat black. Since my paint job is starting to show age, that's what I was going to do to convince myself to get it repainted.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you get what you pay for
http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5862

Removing the fenders and tank are pretty easy. Do yourself a favor and remove the rear wheel/tire when you take of the rear fender

·
Registered
335 Posts
just my $.02 but if your paying for a paint job whats another $100-125 for the lift? it'll be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
875 Posts
patsue said:
Is it a big deal to take the rear tire off? I don't have a stand or anything.
I removed the rear fender without removing the wheel, it was a *****! You can bet when I get my freshly painted stuff back I will remove the rear wheel so I dont scratch up the paint on the new fender.

·
Registered
31 Posts
THeres really only 1 bolt thats hard to get to on the rear fender, it's in the center twords the front. Use 1/4 inch drive and a little electrical tape and you can conqour the nut.

·
BMF
87 Posts
I took mine apart to get it painted and didn't have any problems without taking the rear wheel off. And I got big fat hands!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
omigosh said:
I took mine apart to get it painted and didn't have any problems without taking the rear wheel off. And I got big fat hands!!
you got admit it would be easier with the wheel off, and like I said when she goes back together the wheel is coming off to prevent any scratches on the new paint...................my painter sent me these last night

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your bike is going to look really cool misguided! I think you are right. I am still trying to decide whether I want to do this or not. I did find a good painter. But I don't know if I want to spend the 600 bucks he wants for a straight glossy black finish.

Thanks

·
BMF
87 Posts
It probably would keep you from squishing your hands!

Misguided... I'd send that tank back, he forgot to paint it!

I got mine painted for $400. Real shiny black. It looked so good after they shot it, I didn't let them sand it. It's hard to get it to shine as well after it's sanded. That's just my opinion. And they have to shoot it well, or you'll get a lot of orange peel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts