V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all again,
I really enjoy the forum input, most of the time. It’s always varied, interesting and sometimes (?) maybe just a little opinionated.
I live in SW Washington and have about had my fill of our winter weather and am planning a temporary escape. I have several options on the table and among them are to pack up the bike, take or ship it south and ride for two or three weeks to dry out and warm up.
Bike options include:
  • Ship my bike to a friend’s place in Arizona, fly down, ride, ship it back and then fly home.
  • Fly down, rent a bike for 2 or three weeks and fly back home.
  • Put the Fatboy on a trailer and tow it down, ride and tow it back.
I know some are going to say to just ride it down but my days of riding in pouring down rain and riding over mountain passes in the snow are DONE! This is to be an escape, not an endurance test.
On another note, if I decide to trailer “Dragon” to warmer climes I have looked at trailers and have been surprised to see that about half of the motorcycle trailers are solid axels with no springs which just doesn’t seem right. What are your thoughts on that?
Looking forward to comments, Randy

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,019 Posts
If you trailer your bike that allows you to take it off and ride it when you otherwise would hit those areas where you'd say "Dang, it's nice here, wish I had my bike!" As far as those trailers go, you're probably looking at what's called a "torsion axle". Looks like a solid axle with no shocks but they have rubber inside them and when it twists it absorbs energy. I've got a single axle 6x12 cargo trailer that I've hauled two Harleys in for years with no problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you trailer your bike that allows you to take it off and ride it when you otherwise would hit those areas where you'd say "Dang, it's nice here, wish I had my bike!" As far as those trailers go, you're probably looking at what's called a "torsion axle". Looks like a solid axle with no shocks but they have rubber inside them and when it twists it absorbs energy. I've got a single axle 6x12 cargo trailer that I've hauled two Harleys in for years with no problems.
That is exactly what I was thinking, My pickup has a canopy on the back, and I put a cot inside which opens up another option, I can sleep in motels or the back of the truck. I looked at my brothers' trailer and the axel is bolted solid, another was actually welded. The torsion idea sounds better to me, at least it is a little forgiving on the bumps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts