V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this happening to my 2002 FXST.

The bike stays in the garage at night.
Let's say the temperature outside is below 10 centigrades.
Temperature in the garage is around 15 centigrades.
When I turn the engine on in the morning, choke full out, it runs well.
Then I get outside and within a mile or so it starts going on one cylinder, misfires a lot, spits out a lot of smoke and fails to idle even with the choke full out.
After about 15 minutes it suddenly springs to life, idles smoothly and runs very well.
Then I park the bike in the garage at the office and the same thing happens in the evening when I go home.
Runs ok in the garage, misfires as soon as I get out, lots of smoke, no idle and then in about 10 to fifteen minutes it suddenly runs well.
I run Screamin' Eagles II slip fit mufflers (shorty duals Baloney cut) with SE breather and rejet on the carb.

What the hell is goin' on?
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
The colder winter weather may be creating a lean condition. Cold moist air is more dense and contains more oxygen molecules.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Kind of sounds like your not letting it warm up before taking off. These hogs are very cold natured. Also I was always told that the CHOKE is just letting in all fuel and very little air which will wash out the cylinder walls. You may want to choke it just long enough for the bike to run and then use the thumb screw to keep the bike just above idle until you can feel some heat in the rocker cover. Then take off and see how it runs. I guess it could be possible that if you have used the choke alot you have fouled the plugs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The "choke" isn't really a choke but an enrichener. It dumps gas right into the air stream rather than choking off air as a "choke" does. After letting the bike warm-up for a couple of minutes (touch the rocker cover and it is warm) push the "choke" in to about half-way. I think you may have been flooding the engine until it gets hot enough for the plugs to burn off the excess fuel.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I'll try it out tonight and let you know how it goes tomorrow.
In the meantime have a good evening wherever you are and whatever you are up to!

Ciao

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If its not a warm up issue it could be a air leak. As the intake gets hotter the air leak could stop/slow.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I think DesertRat has it right on. Also, do you know if the air/ mixture cap was taken off and the air/mixture screw adjusted. That would make a big difference in cold weather starts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,
Thank you very much.
After applying the various tecniques suggested in your replies I can report a major improvement in the performance of the bike.
Therefore I can confirm that the diagnosis for this problem was:
"Moronic use of the choke knob in cold climates"

Thanks again
Ciao

·
Registered
128 Posts
I Keep forgettin' that one!!!

thomas_l said:
That loose screw between the seat and the handlebars will get you every time :)
I HAVE to remember that one.....heard it before, but keep forgettin' to throw it at one of my buddies....must be all that EVIL marijuana makin'
me forget......now what were we talkin' about????!!!:confused: :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts