V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was time today to put the 2000 Ultra away for the winter. I pulled the battery, filled the gas tank and put some stabilizer in it. Is there anything else I should do to prepare it for hibernation? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Good idea to get her up on some jack stands if you can. If it were me, I would also coat the hell out of her with some Liqui-Tech and leave it on to be buffed out in the Spring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
winterizing

You have a AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery if it's the original one, no need to remove it from the bike. You can charge it right in the bike. The AGM battery has an electrolite paste imbedded in glass mats and does not need the same matainance as a liquid filled type. It does not need to be on a level surface. Batteries tend to last longer if kept in a cool place, the heat is what kills a battery. In the winter when everything freezes up there is a lot more resitance so it takes more cranking amps to turn over a motor, this can wear down a battery fast, not the cold temps. Only liquid filled batteries can freeze if left in the freezing cold temps for long.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/winter-storage.html#8

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JimmyK what is this Liqui-tech and which parts do I coat with it? What protection does it offer? Are there any similar products that do the same thing if I can't find that particular one?

Roadhog, thanks for the info on the battery, I didn't realize I could leave it in during the winter. I have it out now so will leave it out, but good info for next winter.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to ride it all year long, but we already have snow up here in New Brunswick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hell bundle up and ride her. I figure if the roads are dry I'm riding.

If your going to store it Than I would make sure to run it for a while to get that stabilizer thoughout the fuel system. Fog the cylinders, wash and wax, fresh oil, and keep the presure up in your tires.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
hd107:

I would highly recommend you get a Battery Tender Plus, put it on your battery and leave it there all winter long. If you're not going to ride, that is.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have the Battery Tender Jr, it works well too

·
Registered
201 Posts
Change all the fluids. I pull the seat and battery and wash 'em top to bottom, front to back, even under the fenders. Then a good coat of wax. Pretty much everything that WingRider said. We were lucky enough here in NE Ohio last year to be able to get 'em on the road at least once a month when the salt on the roads pretty much cleared up. Even then, after a winter ride I still wash 'em down again to make sure there's no salt dust left on 'em.

-jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts