V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Brown Truck delivered my H-D wind deflectors for the RKC yesterday evening. Thought I would take a few minutes to slap them on this morning before going for a ride. Wrong! :eek: The signal wouldn't allow me enough room to install them. No problem, I'll take a extra few minutes to move the signals since I saw more forward holes.

Okay, I take a 1/2hr to remove the blasted screws so I can drop the signals to gain access to a bolt I knew had to be holding the driving lights on. I get the signal dropped and started to unplug the driving light wire. Duh, no plug to unplug! :duh?: Now I go inside for a coffee refill and check the service manual. Well kiss my grits, the manual states I need a special socket to loosen/remove the nut holding the driving lights. Since almost 3hrs of my play time is gone now I stick it back together like it was when I started. :wacko:

So the whole time I'm riding today I'm thinking about this small "situation" I have. I don't know if I want to cut the wire and solder/crimp in a connector for easy removal in the future or buy a generic 9/16" deep socket and take my die grinder to it. Whatcha think?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I guess some days you're the shoe and somedays you're the floor! At least I got a good ride in today. :woohoo: I'll fight with the deflectors another day. ^rolleyez^

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd make the tool! You'll feel a lot better about it. I ground down an old screwdriver to get at those pesky triangular head screws, and I love that thing to death.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
P/N 58121-85B...They should bolt on, possibly rub on the back of the t/s, if you don't have someone to position the parts while torqueing the nuts.

OR did they "improve" the design? :roflback:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fourcats said:
P/N 58121-85B...They should bolt on, possibly rub on the back of the t/s, if you don't have someone to position the parts while torqueing the nuts.

OR did they "improve" the design? :roflback:
I can imagine they are the same design as the last 20 years.

The bottom holes of the deflectors missed by at least 1/4". I'll split a socket and try to do it right. I need to adjust the driving lights anyway since one is aimed at the tree tops.

Thanks for the help..... Red

1 - 4 of 4 Posts