V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the 10 inch Harley windsplitter windsheild the book says puches will not work, but has anyone tried it, I have the 3 bag harley that they all are rectangular and i think they may work has anyone tried? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 08 road glide and I went 10" on mine and it did not do what I liked, I ended up with the 15" I am alos 6'-8' tall so not much works for me. Everyone I have talked enjoys the 12" windsplitter for most HD baggers... Good luck

·
Banned
589 Posts
The three bag pouches will fit under the Windsplitter, but you can't get clearance to open them. I just installed the light smoked 10" -- It's supposed to cut buffeting, improve sound on stereo system. The criticism I hear is that the "spoiler" rim at the top edge distorts the view. I see that it does, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Second add-on for buffeting is the fairing wind deflectors. The Adj. models are $110, and the fixed style are $40. I'm going w/ fixed. Ventilation has never been an issue for me -- even in desert heat in NV. Buffeting at about 65 mph is an issue I want to address.

As for bags (I already own the three-pouch.) I keep looking for something up top. For cell phone, iPod, etc. I think about a bag on the engine guard, or maybe a runner's style arm band pouch attached to the bars (for function, not decoration).

H-D needs to re-design the windshield pouches so they open out front to work w/ the Windsplitter.

·
Banned
589 Posts
No, wait . . . It do fit -- and nicely too ! ! !

OK, it pays to check!

10" Windsplitter, 3 pouch pocket windshield accessory, and for what it's worth, stainless steel windshield trim on a 2010 Street Glide.

I just got out of the garage here, having fitted this combo. It fits nicely! There's ample clearance for accessing the pockets! The three screws that secure the stainless trim on the fairing are difficult to get started -- takes leaving all the screws loose until they're all started, then tighten down.

The 3 pocket pouches fit nicely behind the 10" Windsplitter. I have ample room to access the flaps. They're not at all pinched nor cramped. (Flaps open to about 85 degree angle. You're not going to be able to open the flap past the 90 degree point. But then you don't need to open that wide to stow 99% of your stuff.)

This is nice because I keep the iPod MP3 player in these pockets, a windshield cloth, fuel octane booster.

Pays to sometimes ignore the H-D catalog! I'm guessing the pocket accessories won't work for the shorter Windsplitters.

-- Made my day here! :clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks you for taking the time check let me know how the wings on the fairing work i have been wanting to try them, but was going go ahead get the one I could open for air.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Just rode the 10" Windsplitter into town on the freeway at hwy speeds. (70 is posted legal.) I can HEAR the radio at greater than posted speeds! (Don't ask how much greater than posted! :clap:)

Installed the fairing wind deflectors this week-end and test rode. The "detent" model (57804-07) fits only 1996 and 1997 models. "Infinite adjust" (58156-08A) fit '08 and later models. The mounting hole config. is different in these two models. Shield profile is the same.

Deflectors are a nice look, work well. Can be, with some reasonable caution, adjusted while riding.

Rode them home (125 miles) on the hwy. Buffeting is GONE. I can hear the audio output. No wind noise. They seem to cut buffeting under the arms, around the torso, but I'd have to check more closely when I'm not wearing heaps of cold weather gear.

Pockets on the 10" windshield work perfectly!

I noticed too that in a light rain the drops were going over my helmet rather than landing on the face shield. That's a nice improvement in visibility.

Took me about 200 yds. riding to get used to the distortion on the top windshield edge w/ the "spoiler." I look over the top of the windshield (I'm 5' 10" -- stock RG seating for now.)

Windsplitter is wider than the stock fairing mount -- extends out behind the mirrors. I'm more pleased with this set-up than I expected.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got it on my 2010 Electra Glide Classic and really like it. I'm 6'2" and look over the top, as I prefer to. I can hear the radio just fine and experience little buffeting. Don't have pouches so can't offer an opinion on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts