V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I own an '06 Screamin' Eagle Ultra, and the stock windshield looks cool, but is (obviously) too short for touring. I'm looking at a 12" windshield.
I have looked at some websites (i.e., MemphisShades), and have seen that their 'shields are cheaper than Harley's, supposedly stronger/more resistant to pitting/scratches (made of Lucite, compared with Harley's lexan).
But then some of these 'shields talk about new hardware and caps for the screws, 50% thicker windshields, etc.
My questions are this:
Has anyone purchased a windshield other than OEM, and how have they worked out with installing, resistance to scratching/pitting.
Has anyone used a less than 12" windshield with good wind buffeting effect? I'm 5'9".
Any input will help.
Sincerely,
ICMC Geezer

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I really don't know about lucite but I thought Lexan was considered a good windshield material. Anyway I have had my Ultra since August of 02 and have over 30,000 miles on it with the stock windshield with no scratches or anything on my windshield and it's not because I take real good care of it because I don't. Unless the aftermarket dealer gives you a better price or has something you like a lot better I would just go with the stock shield from Harley. I really don't know why an aftermarket company would require extra hardware unless they are selling a one size fits all type shield. I would think they would make the shield to be a direct replacement for the stock shield. It's not like there are not very many Electraglides out there. BTW congratulations on the SE Ultra. I hope to get one myself in a couple years.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'm 6ft and I've got a streetglide... On the freeway I was messing around and noticed that if I duck about 3-4 inches the wind is outta my face and I can hear my tunes better... try it and see how much more windshield you really need...

·
banal
486 Posts
For fairing bikes I think Slipstreamer makes a real good quality shield. Better than OEM, I think. Thicker, smoother material that is harder to scratch. Smooth cut. Nice, functional shape. For non-fairing bikes, I like the Memphis Shades for much the same reasons. I think when they are referring to the new hardware they are referring to the regular shields, not for fairings, and I can attest to the value of the larger, stronger nuts, screws, and bushings. For 5'9" I would be hard to see you with a windshield over 8". I am 6' and with my fairing I couldn't imagine riding with a shield taller than my 10".

Congrats on your bike!

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
I found Cee Bailey in Thunder Press and ordered a larger windshield from them. WHen it arrived I used the stock Harley windshield frame and mounted the new shield on it. Everything went together just fine and the windshield is an improvement especially for winter riding. I think they charged about $140 for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts