V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a sport windshield for my 1999 Softail Custom,but was told by dealer parts guy.That windshields mounted to handlebars would cause a shimmy.That I should only buy a fork mounted windshield.But since I have relocated my front turn signals this isn't an option for me,bracket won't fit. Was he giving me a line of B.S. Being a new owner I thought I'd ask the experts.So what do guys say.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
cubicinches said:
I was going to buy a sport windshield for my 1999 Softail Custom,but was told by dealer parts guy.That windshields mounted to handlebars would cause a shimmy.That I should only buy a fork mounted windshield.But since I have relocated my front turn signals this isn't an option for me,bracket won't fit. Was he giving me a line of B.S. Being a new owner I thought I'd ask the experts.So what do guys say.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Well, I have riden a few Harleys with small sport shields with handlebar mounts. I can't say that I noticed any shimmy. I'm not sure what he's talking about. The only thing that I can figure out is that if it was a large enough shield with a high enough wind force it may cause a little flex on the bars if the rubber bushings were worn. If that's the case, a set of polyurethane riser bushings would take care of that. They sell for about $10-$15.

Damn it, my sentences, grammer, and spelling are getting so sloppy I just had to edit this one. LOL

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the HD sport shield with quick disconnect on my Sporty and have not run into the problems with a shimmy. This is a common way for attachment of windshields on Sporty, Dyna, and Softails. He may be blowing smoke up your ass. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
THANKS GUYS

I had a hunch he was full of sh*t .I couldn't see Harley selling a windshield that might put the rider at risk. I couldn't understand if its mounted to the bars or fork you would think it would have the same effect[so called shimmy].Its a sport windshield PN91820-85a its used but you would never know it,and I can buy it from a guy that traded in his Custom for a new Fat Boy.At fifty bucks I couldn't see how i could go wrong.Thanks for your help !!!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cubicinches , check out www.windvest.com They have good stuff in sports shields. You can order it from directparts.com for a lower price. I just installed one on my Duece. Solid , sporty, and top quality.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had windsheilds on almost all my bikes and never noticed any shimmy. You may get knocked around a little by a gust of wind, but at highway speed you'll hardley pay any attention to it. :D If you want one get one!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wind Vest

Have you seen the Wind Vest Windshield. It's a handlebar mount. Comes in 14 and 16 inch height. Plexiglass is almost twice a thick as normal windshield and the mount is true billet. It's adjustible and from what I hear, it's a damn good windshield. Check www.windvest.com

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used one of those handlebar-mounted windshields before. No problems even at 100 mph. I can't imagine HD (or anyone else) selling something that would make the front end shimmy. I think it would have to be flat to induce any handling problems.

As long as your wheel bearings and steering head bearings are in good shape it should be no problemo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts