V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck with windshields on their Dyna? I've bought two different shields for my FXD with no luck.The first shield was a Mephis Shades,good looks,well made,but severe buffeting at speed.This shield was the smallest sport shield they make.The second shield I bought was a H.D. touring shield,big,ugly,no way to adjust angle of shield,and still buffeting at speed. I've heard talk of lowers but in my opinion they look like crap on Dynas.Does anybody know of a shield that looks sporty and won't blow my head off above 50 mph? I wear a full face lid most of the time so I prefer a shorter shield.I just want the wind blast off my chest. Thanks for the help!!! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
bub said:
"...Does anybody know of a shield that looks sporty and won't blow my head off above 50 mph?...I just want the wind blast off my chest.
Yep! And they come standard on Electra Glides!!!:p

Hey neighbor! I come through your fair town, occasionally, on my way to Kokomo. A couple of riding partners and I meet at the Jim Dandy on 28 before heading out.....Maybe join us one day?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use the H-D sport shield....Works pretty good without ruining the looks...too much..
Easy on easy off...
Keeps most of the wind off you...I would buy another...I have a picture of it on the FFB site...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to meet you FLH-GEORGE! I was in your neck of the woods today.I stopped by Eagle H.D. for the open house.I saw a VROD in person for the first time.Regardless what everyone else says,I like it. Good talking to you. Later!! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey bub!

Dan & Kathy, Dale, Lisa. and the crew at Eagle H-D deserve an extra slice of raisin pie for their consistent efforts towards customer satisfaction. Great people who go the extra mile for their customers.

Another excellent shop near us, is Moody Cycle in Kokomo. I've done business with both for several years.

I was sorry to have missed the Christmas Open House at Eagle yesterday.....Had to do that "work" thing, ya know!

V-Rod, huh? On the floor at Eagle? While not particulary my style, I'd like to check one out.

Sun's out, supposed to reach the 50's this afternoon.....Think I'll go give the Geezer Glide a quick bath and go for a putt! Won't be many more of these until next Spring!

Later............Gotta get a little wind in my face!:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey FLH GEORGE, the VROD was not on the floor someone rode it in. I agree Eagle does a good job with there customers.They have always treated me very good.Happy Riding!!! :)

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
bub said:
Has anyone had any luck with windshields on their Dyna? I've bought two different shields for my FXD with no luck.
Bub, I know what you are talking about when choosing windshields. A lot of choices out there and you have to actually put it on and try it out to know for sure whether it does the job you wanted it to do.

People have different ideas what they want in a shield. My FXDS came with a very large windshield. It came down a little beside the lower forks almost like lower wind deflectors. But it blocked so much wind that the vacumm it pulled was kinda irritating. It actually sucked a pack of smokes out of my pocket and held them against the speedo until I grabbed them. LOL. For some riders this would be an ideal windshield.

What I was looking for in a windshield was something to just take the direct wind blast off of my head. On long trips this alone keeps your neck from being tensed and fatigued. The ideal shield for me has a height that the top hits me about middle nose level when in my relaxed cruising position, which allows me see over it when it is misted up with water in bad conditions. It offers bug and debree protection for the body and most of the head.(a few big bugs get through LOL). The wider the better at the lower part of it. It must be ajustable for height and tilt angle which helps control buffeting. And it must look kinda sleek to match the sleek look of the Dyna.

So, if you want the full touring windshield with a lot of wind protection, the big ones like Dyna convertable windshield will do the job or other large ones with additional lower shields on your forks. I don't prefer them myself but I even like to roll the windows down in my car on the highway. LOL. But if you want a sport shield that will have some buffeting but will still allow you to feel like your riding in the wind then one with proper adjustable height, adjustable tilt angle,and as wide as possible at the bottom is about the best you can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts