V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm about to make my first mod to my new Sporty. I bought this bike about a month ago, and after 400 miles, I want to put a Windshield on it. (Saddlebags are next, but I figured the Windshield would be an easier installation to start, as the saddlebags will require me to relocate the rear turn signals).

Anyway, I just wanted some opinions on whether or not to go with the Detachable or Non-Detachable versions. Any Pro's/Con's for one vs. the other. I am leaning towards the Detachable version just for the flexibility to take it off if I want to.

Thanks for the input.

Go Wings!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
there really isn't much to say except the detachable one is ..errrrrr....detachable.

Personally, I like being able to take mine off for short low speed warm weather rides, or where people go mostly to hang and scope each others bikes....looks much better w/o windshield.

Only down side I could immagine is that i suppose it is easier to steal if that is a concern. i don't worry about it

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thats why my next scooter is gonna be a road king vs electra glide, you cant take the fairing off the eglide, if ya do ya got no instruments :(

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Only a personal opinion................ The previous owner of my Sportster had a windshield and (hard) saddlebags on the bike. First thing I did when I got it home was remove them. I do not like them on a Sporty. To me it looks too geeky or like a Honda or something. I've contemplated putting the windshield back on during the winter! Again, just my opinion!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wingnut, looks just like mine before all the changes. Nice choice. I installed the docking kit and quick detach sport shield from HD catalog on mine. Works nice for long trips and when the temps drop around here. Leaves you the flexibility to take off quickly for running around town and short hauls. No regrets.

Fellow geeeeeeek here Chris.:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hehehe..

Oh by the way, if it's any consolation, if I ever get a Low Rider that I want I'm going to get the detachable windshield instead of mounted one. Same with the sissybar also. Will probably get some kind of throwover saddlebags too instead of the mounted. Everything I have now is perfect for my bike now, but when I get a Low Rider I want to be able to tour with it if I want, or lighten it up and drive it around town too... different bike, different reasons for doing things. :)

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Misguided said:
Thats why my next scooter is gonna be a road king vs electra glide, you cant take the fairing off the road king, if ya do ya got no instruments :(

Whaa choo talkin' bout Willis?:confused:

My RK has a detachable windshield and the guages start ight where their supposed to be.

wyo

·
Registered
875 Posts
wyodude said:

Whaa choo talkin' bout Willis?:confused:

My RK has a detachable windshield and the guages start ight where their supposed to be.

wyo
sorry bout that, I corrected my post above, what I meant to say was you cant take the fairing off the eglide, thats why I am choosing the RK........................note to self: dont type when drunk :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of your input. I went down to the local dealership and ordered the detachable super sport version. It should be in next Thursday. I'll be sure and update the pic of my sporty in my sig.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Wingnut:

I have an 01 Sportster model that with a detachable windshield that the previous owner installed. I like the idea of the being detachable, because I like to remove it for cleaning and showing the bike. besides who would want to steal a sportster windhield anyway. I have the sport style of windshield from HD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts