V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, getting ready to try and remedy a problem this weekend that I've had for some time now. The 3 brass bezels that the windshield screws go into keep pulling out of the inter-fairing. I've pushed 'em back in a few times but they seem to be getting looser and looser to the point that they do now stay put at all.

Have a couple thoughts about using JB Weld or maybe SuperGlue but thought I buy a couple rounds, toss it out on the bar and see if anybody else has experienced this problem. Working with brass and plastic and getting something to hold both. I'm kinda up in the air.:dunno:

o~\o

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've used JB Weld successfully on some. Also used a good epoxy successfully on some. HD makes a brass bezel that is threaded instead of knurled that also works fine. However, you have to very slightly widen the holes first with a drill.
part # is 16585-96

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I have the same problem with a 6 month old Ultra. When I inquired at the dealer they had never "seen" the problem before. They suggested using red loc-tite and driving them back in with a mallet.

Any tried and true suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
thanks for the p-n EdY.....i thought they made one but could't find the number for the life of me....I have also used J-b weld to great sucess..........

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed Y said:
.........HD makes a brass bezel that is threaded instead of knurled that also works fine. However, you have to very slightly widen the holes first with a drill. Part # is 16585-96
Thanks EdY,

Picked up 3 of 'em yesterday. WoW!! As with everything else they are proud of 'em. $3.15 each but with a 20% discount wasn't that bad. Taked to the service manager and he made the same suggestion that NECCOM received, use red Loctite. I might try the Loctite suggestion this mor'n to see if that will hold. Am trying that first because you're right about having to enlarge the holes.

Will post.

o~\o

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
All 3 of mine came out. I cleaned the inner fairing holes with acetone then used 3M 5200 marine adhesive. They will never come out again unless I drill them. That stuff is good.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peacekeeper said:
All 3 of mine came out. I cleaned the inner fairing holes with acetone then used 3M 5200 marine adhesive. They will never come out again unless I drill them. That stuff is good.
:duh?: I have used that stuff on my sailboat while I was living in Seattle area. Completely forgot about it. BUT have no idea where to find it now that I'm back home and the flat lands of TEXAS. :hmmm: Guess I can check the phone book.

I do have a tube of 3M "yellow death" in the shop. My NHRA AA/FD Fuel dragster was held together for years with duct tape and "yellow death", even held the National Record. Might work! :hmmm:

Thanks PeaceKeeper.

o~\o

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Just another suggestion. A lot of them that I've seen get screwed up is because guys have been using blue loctite on the 1/4" screws. I use a stainless flat washer and a stainless lock washer under the screws on mine with never-seize on the threads. Just barely tighten until the lock washer compresses. They've been holding fine for probably 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Texan said:
:duh?: I have used that stuff on my sailboat while I was living in Seattle area. Completely forgot about it. BUT have no idea where to find it now that I'm back home and the flat lands of TEXAS. :hmmm: Guess I can check the phone book.

I do have a tube of 3M "yellow death" in the shop. My NHRA AA/FD Fuel dragster was held together for years with duct tape and "yellow death", even held the National Record. Might work! :hmmm:

Thanks PeaceKeeper.

o~\o
Can order it online, I love the stuff, use it on my boat, I always end up cursing the stuff when I try to get it apart again. It takes about a week to fully cure though. For this case there would be really no reason to worry about getting it apart again. Just dont get it on the thread area.
:beer4u:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts