V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new '06 RKC, I'm still pinching myself, I can't believe how nice it is. One problem I have is the top of the windshield is just exactly in my line
of vision and is somewhat of a distraction. Is this something I will get used to, or do I need to spring for a new shorter windshield. I'm used to riding a 1200 Sportster with the sport windshield, which I had no problem seeing over.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
few options

There are only a few options for this situation besides getting adjusted to the original one. You can purchase a replacement from Harley or aftermarket. Or you can take the windshield and cut it down an inch or two using a scroll saw.

Windshield are basically a lexan product that is pretty tough stuff. If you protect it from getting scratched by the power tool you can easily modify the height. Check around you'll probably find one of you riding friends has experience with cutting lexan.

I found cutting to much off the windshield to give a better sight line results in no benefit when the rain washes your face. Be thoughtful!

·
Fuk ya'll, I'm from TEXAS
2,227 Posts
Get a pencil draw your line and use a Dremmel with the cut off attachment and then sandpaper to clean. very very easy to do.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I have gotten used to mine. It is also in the middle of my line of sight. You will get used to it. Give it a season, then decide.

YB

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I would wait until you get a differant seat before you do anything to the windsheild. My mustang onepiece ultra touring raises me. The other two mustang seat I had lowered me. So wait until you get rid of the stock seat. Atleast ride it for bit and decide if your going to get rid of it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't buy a new windshield. Just cut the one you have to the desired custom height. I have all the details on making the cut, complete with pictures. I will post the info here if there is enough interest. If not, just send me a PM, and I'll send you the details.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I believe you'll get used to it over time. I would be careful about cutting the shield too low. The current height allows the air flow to just pass over your head. If you lower the sheild too much, the air could end up hitting you too low and defeat its purpose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use a 24 tooth blade in my jig saw and a body grinder. I finish the edges with 220 wet & dry. Just take your time when cutting so the material doesn't melt itself back together.

To figure out the height you want, take a piece of 1" masking tape and run it across the shield. Then go for a ride. Adjust this as needed.

Just remember you can make another cut if you don't cut enough. If you cut too much, you can't add it back on.

Good Luck....Red

·
CROM ICE
132 Posts
I had the stock shield on my 05 Ultra. I thought i had TO HAVE the 9 1/2 inch
clear shield from Harley. Got it, but let me tell you what!! I am going to put my original one back on. It shakes my head all over the place. What a difference, I put a one piece Mustang seat on already. Love the seat , hate the shield.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Again I say wait until you replace the seat before making any cuts.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
YankeeBob said:
AND, give it a whole season.
The 3rd seat on my bike raised me up to eyelevel at the edge. Thought I was going to hate it. Forgot about it. Once you cut it, you can't go back.

Though I also digress from most people, where I don't mind looking through the windsheild.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took mine to a local glass shop & had 'em cut it where I wanted it. Cost me 25 bucks and looks like it came that way....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a few pm's about cutting a windshield so I decided to just make a public post of how I cut them.

I make a template using poster board cut to the original windshield curve. I then mask off the windshield where the cut is going to be and use the template to mark where I want the cut

After I have the windshield marked, I cut it about 1/4'' higher than I want it using a fine blade jig saw.

After the rough cut is made, I take the windshield to where I want it, and get it the shape I want with a belt sander. Go easy here so you don't melt the edge of the shield.

After you have the shield the shape and height you want, use fine (420 grit) sandpaper to finish the edge and then remove the tape.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
675 Posts
Glad to see the post on cutting the original

I am tossing around going to a road king or possibly a streetglide. With the streetglide I will have to replace the deflector with either a 6 or 9 inch shield for my purposes. I rode a friend's road king and immediately noticed the windshield problem I either had to sit up really straight and crane my neck to look over, or I had to crouch down to look low enough to look through and not be distorted. I wear the no line bifocal glasses and the combination of the two makes the top 2 or 3 inches of the RK shield basically useless for me. I prefer to look over the top of the shield instead of thru for that same reason, so I will have to cut mine or buy the shorter replacement lexan. I would prefer to keep the change in my pocket, so now that I have seen this thread I will definitely cut it. For a windshield to work right without helmet buffeting, etc., the idea is that when in a natural riding postion, the top of the shield is about level with the end of your nose, no lower. In that way the shield still deflects the air over your head, but you look over instead of thru. I have moved mine up and down on my FXD and found this is actually true and not another myth. I have talked to several people with RK and also Heritage Softail classics, and it seems HD made the factory glass with a 6 foot tall rider in mind. That puts me out of luck as I am vertically challenged at 5'7.

·
Registered
762 Posts
YankeeBob said:
I have gotten used to mine. It is also in the middle of my line of sight. You will get used to it. Give it a season, then decide.
YB
I agree. This has been my experience, too, with my '05 Ultra Classic.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I agree with the 'select your seat first' suggestion.

At the same time, I disagree with the 'chop your stock windscreen' suggestions. At the cost of a HD windscreen, you might want to consider purchasing a shield from an aftermarket source and trying different sizes. At under $50 a shield the time and effort of cutting your own might not look so efficient. You might even want to contact someone that is more personal service wise, like customflht, that might work with you to find that special height you are looking for without requiring you to purchase multiple windscreens.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
$50. replacement shield

mymatrix said:
At the cost of a HD windscreen, you might want to consider purchasing a shield from an aftermarket source and trying different sizes. At under $50 a shield the time and effort of cutting your own might not look so efficient.
Where can a replacement shield be purchased for under $50? I'm interested. I was going to cut mine, but if I can get a shorter one for that price I'll save the OEM shield.

Mine measures 20"s from the top of the headlight cut to the top of the shield. I'd like to have a generic 19". Might slurge a little and go with a light tint. LOL!! Can they be purchased wider also that works with the OEM hardware?

TIA..... Red

·
4142 Tool Steel Balls
106 Posts
I cut my stock shield down 1.75 inches. (2005 RK Classic). I used blue painters tape and a saber saw. Best thing I have done to the bike. I rode for a while with out a shield because I didn't like them, but am getting too old to eat bugs. I'm 6' tall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts