V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a windshield (sport type) for my '93 FXR, only for long rides. After researching windshield posts on this forum I have seen a term "buffeting" used many times. Could someone please explain to my ignorant ass exactly what "buffeting" is?
Also looking at the Slip Streamer "Bullet" which can attach to my drag bars. Any one have any experience with Slip Streamers? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hondo

Buffetting is when your head and helmet get bounced around from the turbulence created by the windshield. Windshields don't eliminate the wind. They just move it to a different place depending on the size and shape of the windshield. If you ever ride in a state where helmets aren't required you'll sometimes see guys' hair being blown forward from the turbulence coming over the head and back forward. Usually on full "barn door" style windshields. I have a small 14" Memphis Shade on my FXR. It keeps the bugs off my goggles and not much else. I like it better than the bigger ones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It the continual and irritating blast of wind currents jolting your head and face while you are riding. It often varies with the speed of the bike and the amount of head wind or resistance. Even a good windshield may not stop all of it because some of it is coming up from below the triple trees and across your lap to your chest and neck. That is when lowers (deflectors) mounted on the forks are helpful. Adjusting your windshield up or down, forward or back sometimes improves the flow of air around you and the bike (aero-dynamics) and helps aleviate the pressure. It is especially irritating on long rides at higher speeds because it feels like someone constantly and forcefully pushing your head, face, neck, and chest back and forth. Hope that was of some help.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike and lowgear,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I get it now. We are not required to wear helmets here in Florida but I always do. I currently wear a 1/2 which does feel like a mushroom on my head and the wind catches it pretty good. Mostly putting pressure on my neck at highway speeds. I was hoping a windshield would elimanate that. But from what you are describing with a windshield you have different wind currents to deal with depending on the size and rake of the windshield. I was able to get a used Windvest from my wrench for $100.00 which does fit my bike/bars perfectly. I'll have to try it out as it does have quite a few height and angle options to choose from.

I have read from researching that the windshield should be about level with your nose so you are actually looking over the top. Is this a correct position? Or does it really depend on the rider? Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Depends on the rider but I like mine a little above eye level for more coverage. Having said that, I have screens on both my FXR and Victory and they are below eye level. Vic came that way and I had to cut my FXR shield down due to scratches toward the edges. The higher shield gives more protection from Texas bugs the size of small children ;-) and hail doing 80 mph. The smaller screen is easier for me to see over when riding in the rain though. Smaller screen works better when I'm wearing a full face helmet. Heck, with a full face helmet, I don't really need a screen because my eyes are protected but I always run the windshield on long highway runs as a safety measure to protect my eyes. TEXAS won't issue a MC license to a blind man-----yet.

My shield on the FXR was originally designed for the Dyna bikes and has extra wide coverage for the hands and arms. Not sure it really made a difference though.

When I ride without the screen, the wind pressure is usually pretty straight forward and constant. With the shield, there seems to be more buffeting especially if it is a windy day. Now, town riding: it doesn't seem to make much difference to me whether I have the screen on or off. Sorry for such a long reply. Be safe and watch out for the cagers on cell phones!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lowgear,

I also use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield when making long runs. And the windshield I got is a sport type so it is small. But I was hoping to reduce the wind to my head and also keep those tiny sand particles from flying in my face too. I'll just have to try different heights until I find one that works best for me. Thanks again

·
Registered
144 Posts
Memphis Shades

I have a Memphis Shades El Paso on my 91 and it is just about right. Pretty much all of my riding is at hiway speeds and it cuts the blast off of the chest just enough. I find the buffetting minimal on most days. I have found that having the top of the sheild at about nose level or lower works best for me. I have an 04 FLST and the tall sheild drove me nuts since the top was at eye level, I found it often distracting and am much happier after I put on a 2" lower sheild. Just what has worked for me.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
I have a Memphis Slims 17" on my FXR4 which use if going any distance on it .. Around Town or runs of 100 miles one way or less prefer it without the shield .. Is about Nose level for me which is Ideal and also quick detach so go on or off in about 5 seconds ..

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I recently put a windshield on my 2009 FXDC. I was getting buffeting at speeds over 55. It was pretty annoying. I have a half helmet that had a little bill on it. Took the bill off, buffeting went away to almost nothing (wind was coming from underneath and catching the bill from the bottom). Before that it would almost give me a headache. Just thought I would throw that out there if anyone else was having that problem. I was ready to buy lowers. Removing the bill was cheaper.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
Mike and lowgear,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I get it now. We are not required to wear helmets here in Florida but I always do. I currently wear a 1/2 which does feel like a mushroom on my head and the wind catches it pretty good. Mostly putting pressure on my neck at highway speeds. I was hoping a windshield would elimanate that. But from what you are describing with a windshield you have different wind currents to deal with depending on the size and rake of the windshield. I was able to get a used Windvest from my wrench for $100.00 which does fit my bike/bars perfectly. I'll have to try it out as it does have quite a few height and angle options to choose from.

I have read from researching that the windshield should be about level with your nose so you are actually looking over the top. Is this a correct position? Or does it really depend on the rider? Thanks
Look at my avatar. I like a tall windshield. I can hide behind it or see over it with a very slight posture change.

Another angle to consider concerning wind is that if you ride with your feet forward, the tops of your legs are a ramp for the wind to ride. It makes my beard blow forward. On my old Sportster, with a windshield and forward pegs, the wind split my beard right down the center and blew it straight back. Mama called it my smiley beard. Some experimentation might surprise you.

joe

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Joe,

Yeah I have only tried a couple of different positions so far and it is really interesting how much the wind changes with just minor height or angle adjustments. I haven't found the exact one I like yet though. I only have forwards but never thought about my legs being wind ramps. Also like trying the idea of postioning the windshield so I could see over it with a minor posture change. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts