V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been working on a design to mitigate the updraft/ turbulence, created by the standard HD shield. Lower deflectors have been around forever. They do work but look contrived.
For the Sportster and Dyna , Nothing in the book. Well if you have a narrow glide front end and a detachable or fixed HD screen I have THE answer.
I have designed a quick 60 second on/off detachable lower deflector. I did the test ride today and AWESOME. Function First, but looks matter. If you run a shield you have already compromised the tough guy look.
Not so tough when you freeeze you ss and get a bug up your nose, Ha. So if you run a shield , MAKE IT WORK! A piece of plywood works but looks not so good.
All of the shields work to keep the wind and bugs off your face and chest but they generate buffeting and turmoil. This all comes from under the shield, the tank and forks and wheel.
STOP THE MADNESS. Extend the shield. Not with an ugly bandage they call wind deflectors. They work but man are they UGLY WARTS. Fill the gaps between the headlight and forks and tank. SMOOOTH AIR.
I just did 100 MPH. Smoking a cig and not a breeze. Tucked in my mid pegs I was looking 4 gear 7. It works and I will show it to you later, just a couple of tweeks. I have read over 1000 threads regarding this subject. Now I am ready to share.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"I just did 100 MPH. Smoking a cig and not a breeze."

Why would I want to do that?!

I love feeling the wind. That is why I ride. I have a small aftermarket windscreen that helps keeps me from being blown off the bike at high speeds, but that is all I want.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"I just did 100 MPH. Smoking a cig and not a breeze."

Why would I want to do that?!

I love feeling the wind. That is why I ride. I have a small aftermarket windscreen that helps keeps me from being blown off the bike at high speeds, but that is all I want.
Hey goalie, Yeah I get it , forget the smoke, and forget the 100 MPH. How about a 100 miles in 40 degrees. Heck I don't like 60 degrees, Florida Boy. I don't ride bar to bar or in the hood. I do ride long and fast and at my age I like some comfort.
You have a shield?! I do not know any one who has been blown off his bike, blown on maybe, Ha. Every one likes being in the wind
at 40 MPH. If you ride any distance the wind is not so much fun. The joy of riding is more the journey. I rode tough when I was young, windshields were for pussees.
I have a dent or 2 in my head from rocks and bugs. Froze my S and was beat when I got there. I ride without a shield round town but when I hit the road, on with the shield. Now why have a 1/2 ASD shield? At this stage in my life , NO compromise. Comfort, function and style. You can have it all.
To each their own, HD sells windshields all day long for $300 to $400. They don't work. Read the threads! The aftermarket is no better, I would pay $500 if someone would create a shield that worked. Not forthcoming, So I made it myself, it works for me.
My Streetglide works and the Goldwing works and the ST works and the FJR works, it is about time a Sportster or a Dynaglde works. For less than $50. you can ride in comfort and not look like a dweeb "subjective"! Randayn. Will post pics later.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
there is something missing
!worthless

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You can upload pictures as attachments or provide a link to a hosting site that you've uploaded the pictures to.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
OK, although I have my doubts, you have my interest...

rkc

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pictures of prototype.

It works for me! Cost about $30 and is custom to my Dyna Lowrider. Tested on a Sportster also. On and off in 90 seconds. Look is subjective but most shields are a compromise of look and comfort.
This moderates the up draft from the windshield and the turmoil produced by the tank, I also built a tab that surrounds the headlight, similar to the RK fork bell.
I believe this can be adapted to most any mid or wideglide fork. Well lets hear it ! ? Trying is believing. Randayn. I have a few tweeks left to do and refine the finished product.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey goalie, Yeah I get it , forget the smoke, and forget the 100 MPH. How about a 100 miles in 40 degrees. Heck I don't like 60 degrees, Florida Boy. I don't ride bar to bar or in the hood. I do ride long and fast and at my age I like some comfort.
You have a shield?! I do not know any one who has been blown off his bike, blown on maybe, Ha. Every one likes being in the wind
at 40 MPH. If you ride any distance the wind is not so much fun. The joy of riding is more the journey. I rode tough when I was young, windshields were for pussees.
I have a dent or 2 in my head from rocks and bugs. Froze my S and was beat when I got there. I ride without a shield round town but when I hit the road, on with the shield. Now why have a 1/2 ASD shield? At this stage in my life , NO compromise. Comfort, function and style. You can have it all.
To each their own, HD sells windshields all day long for $300 to $400. They don't work. Read the threads! The aftermarket is no better, I would pay $500 if someone would create a shield that worked. Not forthcoming, So I made it myself, it works for me.
My Streetglide works and the Goldwing works and the ST works and the FJR works, it is about time a Sportster or a Dynaglde works. For less than $50. you can ride in comfort and not look like a dweeb "subjective"! Randayn. Will post pics later.
Since you asked... I have a slipstreamer tombstone windscreen in the dark smoked color on my 48 (cost approx $60). I generally ride between 30 to 60 mph, mostly on weekends. Generally between 4 to 8 hours each weekend, if it's not raining. I ride whenever it is 35 degrees and getting warmer, but not the other way.

I see your pics and it looks like it solves your concern. That's great.

My preference is simply not to feel the heavy windforce on my chest. Otherwise, the wind is an enjoyable aspect. The only drawback is that my hands will get cold sometimes, but outside of getting handguards, I'm sot certain there's a solution to the wind on my hands.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You know what they say. Find a need and fill it.
Get the right marketing plan in place with a video of you smoking a Marlboro at 60 mph and you'll be on your way. After you put the bike away for the winter the shield doubles as a toboggan.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
real talk...good on you randayn, you set your bike up for you, thanks for
sharing, looks good.

fun talk...use an edgar winter tune in the video.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You know what they say. Find a need and fill it.
Get the right marketing plan in place with a video of you smoking a Marlboro at 60 mph and you'll be on your way. After you put the bike away for the winter the shield doubles as a toboggan.
:redrolf: Love it; smoking on a bike.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Randayn, very innovative. I'm sure it would be great for winter riding where comfort is more important than looks, allthough I don't think it looks that bad. Good on ya. Necessity is a mutha.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My Roadglide has a built in lighter. Isn't that what it's for?:coffee:
How many cigs to the mile does it do :redrolf: I gave up the cigs long ago, but us Brits being tight asses that we are, usually stop for smoke. !!thumbs

·
Banned
589 Posts
I added a 10" tinted (VERY light tint!) Wind-Splitter shield to the SG. It wraps outside the standard mounting slot and over the mirror. The sides are scooped in and the top edge has a spoiler ridge. This shield lays back over the fairing/dash area more than the standard, flat shield. (I have a 4" and a 7" both very dark tinted. )

The rear leaning design and side scoops block the mounting of the tri-pocket storage on the top edge of the fairing. It evidently blocks some GPS mounts.

The upside is that it significantly cuts buffeting, reduces noise. I can hear the stereo now.

$159 -- I added the stainless H-D logo window dressing trim at $70 as shown in this photo:

I also added the 7" High Intensity LED headlight as shown here. $525 -- best $$$ I've spent lately.

All looks very nice -- Not "cool" nor "bad ass" but then that's not my agenda. I want to hear when I ride and not feel like my head is in a blender at 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Looks like a good idea and very well implemented. If it were me, I'd loose the door edge guard molding and radius the ends of the cross brace. The molding, to me, draws too much attention to itself and the radiused ends would give it a more "finished" look.

I'm with Goalie on winter riding. Hands get most of the abuse in colder weather but, that stream of air coming into your face from below can be a little uncomfortable too. If I had one of these set up for my bike I think I'd use it on the colder days but go without on nicer days.
Give us a review of how it performs.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. This is my first working model, now I will refine.
I agree the flat stock will be shaped and polished or it can be blacked out. The door edge was installed just to cover my first rough cuts. I will polish the edges of the production piece. The fender and headlite surround will also be reworked. The BEST part is it works so well and so ez to install or remove. I did a test run yesterday in high winds, a full circle. The only issue I have is riding head against a strong 20+ mph wind. The extension keeps the wind off but produces a low pressure noise with my earplugs. I think if I redesign the headlite cover that issue will be resolved. Interesting note, with just the lower and without the windshield it is amazing how smooth the air is above the bars, I think in the summer this may also work like airconditioning. In Fla. that would be cool. I will post pics of the finished product and will provide one for someone else to try for an objective opinion. Randayn

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts