V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about chopping the windshield on my Heritage. Don't run with it much...probably because i hate looking thru the shield. The top of the shield is probably about even with the top of my head. For those of you that have done this...what's a good height? I read some previous posts about cutting it below the line of sight. Just want to be sure before i start cutting.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
As a general rule, it should be even with the tip of your nose. Mine is even with my chin. Which is fine in the summer but doesn't help at all when it rains.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It is all directly proportional to your height...I am 6 foot and I took the stock 13" off and replaced it with a 10" and I am happy. It keeps the wind down..but as for the rain I would not know...I live in SoCal and it rains like twice a year...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
You need to be able to look OVER it instead of through it. MOCO had a shorter windshield for my Road King that suits me just fine. Probably the same shield fro the SoftTail. You can buy just the Lexon. No need to replace all the hardware. I paid $108 for my replacement shield.

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
I've been told the tip of your nose is the correct height. You don't want to be looking through the shield, plays hell with your vision, especially in the rain. I'm just under 5'10" and have a Harley Sport shield ($150) on my Super Glide. Took me a few rides to dial it in, but not it's like 'budda!!..

Started out with it fairly upright, with the height right about at the tip of my nose or just a little above. Got lost of buffet, no good. Started raking it back little by little and the airflow improved every time. Now it's raked back about as far as it will go, right at or just slightly more than the rake on my forks. Now the top of the sheild is somewhere between my chin and mouth and it's working very well. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
billymac said:
Started raking it back little by little and the airflow improved every time. Now it's raked back about as far as it will go, right at or just slightly more than the rake on my forks.
how do you change the rake? i have a stock RK, can i modify the stock stuff,

or do i need to give another Hunnnert Dollars to someone?

·
Registered
529 Posts
04ctd said:

It might take a hunnnert dollars just to get someone to talk to ya about it. Or you could get that Corbin Abortion looking thingy. You could modify the stock mounts to change the rake of the windshield and cut some off the hight. You might even make some wedge shaped spacers to change the angle of the shield on the mounts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had the same problem, Miles. Got the stock shield for my Custom, drove me nuts after a while. The top brow was directly in my sight-line. Got the 4" shorter light smoked. Looked great, minimal protection. Ok for the warmer days, but still not the ticket. Finally last fall, I got out the stock shield and whacked 2" off and it's perfect, wish I'd done it sooner. I think HD now offers a minus 2" shield. I wouldn't hesitate to cut the shield, it's pretty simple, just take your time.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Miles, there's a guy on eBay that sells shields of all heights for around $25. Maybe try one of those before you cut on the OEM. I have 3 different heights for my RK.

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
04ctd said:

I'm not sure how your shield works on the stock RK, maybe you can't adjust the rake. The top half of the sport shield has a LH and RH support that ties into your handle bars, those supports can adjusted up and down to increase or decrease the rake. By the way, the sport shield is a permanent mount.

When the shield is sitting more upright, the airstream is slamming into it at a more direct or abrupt angle, which naturally causes a lot of turbulence as it moves off the shield resulting in buffet. With more rake, the airstream hits the shield at a less abrupt angle and slides nicely off the shield in a smoother fashion, with less turbulence and less buffet. You don't want to try and stop the airstream (upright) you want to move it up and around you (raked).

Sorry for the physics lesson, every rider and every bike is going to be a little different, but adjusting the rake worked great for me. I've also heard some good things about the Laminar Lip device that you can attach to the shield, it looks a little funky, but hell, if it works....

·
Registered
206 Posts
5'7"

I'm 5'7 and ride a Heritage. I cut the stock windshield down to 15" from the top of the headlight opening. If i were to do it again, I would probably go to 16". You should look over the top of the windshield, not through it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guess I got lucky with mine. Bought my Heritage Classic last year and have no idea what the size/inches it is. But it fits me to a T. I'm 6'2" and I look over it just fine. Guess I'll have to measure it just so I know. Where do you measure up from?:hmmm:

Rick

·
Registered
294 Posts
My wife has a DELUXE and we cut is down about 3 inches. Used a router bit, it was really easy. I will probably do the same to my Heritage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Damn, I guess I'm the only guy who looks through it! I wear a fullface helmet and I don't get any buffeting. I like the way rain blows off of it instead of hitting my face shield. One time in the rain I raised myself up a little. The rain hitting my helmet instantly fogged it up and I noticed alot of wind buffeting.

So I decided I'd leave the stock windshield as is. I also don't notice any problems looking through it at night. Even with bugs on it, It's no worse than a car. I guess I'm the only one huh?:dunno:

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
I'm 5'10", running the king-size detachable that came stock with my '06 FLSTCI. I also have the Mustang wide vintage seat with a sheepskin pad on it.

I've had windshields on other bikes (BMW RT, Triumph America) -- I feel they are a necessity with the amount of freeway riding I do -- but never one so high that I had to look through it rather than over it. After putting 2000 miles on the bike, I still couldn't get used to looking through all that plastic (I wear a full-face helmet with a clear shield as well as an internal sun visor [Caberg Justissimo], plus regular glasses).

I debated buying a shorter Harley or aftermarket lexan replacement, but decided to cut this one down first ($40 vs. at least $125 including shipping for new plastic). Brought it yesterday to a local plastics shop recommended by my dealer. Scheduled to pick it up Friday (it's going to be raining all week). For my height, the shop suggested taking off 3", which is what I had estimated myself after taking my own measurements. I'll post the results soon.

On a slightly different note, I had the chrome wind deflectors intalled before I picked up the bike. On Saturday, I removed them, and noticed very little difference in terms of buffeting (i.e., hardly any with or without the deflectors). It will be interesting to see whether the deflectors are useful or not with the cut-down shield.

More to come....

Philip

miles to go said:
Been thinking about chopping the windshield on my Heritage. Don't run with it much...probably because i hate looking thru the shield. The top of the shield is probably about even with the top of my head. For those of you that have done this...what's a good height? I read some previous posts about cutting it below the line of sight. Just want to be sure before i start cutting.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I HATE looking THROUGH my windshield. Nose height sounds about right - you should be able to just look OVER it. Unfortunately, even though I'm 5'10" my windshield falls RIGHT in my line of sight. I either have to slouch to see through it or sit up really straight to see over it. I think it's because I have a custom Corbin seat that's quite a bit lower profile than the regular seat. When it's time to replace the windshield I'm going to get one that's a bit lower.

Until then, if I wanted to cut a little off, what's the best way to do it without having it look like crap??

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
Until then, if I wanted to cut a little off, what's the best way to do it without having it look like crap??
Take to local auto glass shop, tell 'em how much you want taken off. Should cost about $25 ... well it's been a few years, maybe $35 now ...

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
I had the same problem on my RK windshield.I marked it out the cut with a sharpe magic marker and took it to a local glass shop ,they cut it and sanded it smooth for $20 bucks while I waited.I couldn't stand looking through it .It was right at my eye level.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
TomB said:
Take to local auto glass shop, tell 'em how much you want taken off. Should cost about $25 ... well it's been a few years, maybe $35 now ...
Cool! Thanks you guys! Maybe I'll give that a try - the windshield height has been bugging the crap out of me since I got the damn thing!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.