V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Roadking Classic with stock windshield. I am trying to figure out if I need a higher or lower windshield.

When I ride at higher speeds I get alot of wind on forehead and trys to lift my helmet.

If I am riding without a helmet and I have a hat on, it feels like the wind would blow the hat off.

If I made the windshield a little higher, would that move the airflow above my head without causing any unusual handling of the bike.

I have very little experience with such matters.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You would not have any handling issues with a taller windshield. It's just a matter if you want to look over, or through a windshield.

There has been quite a bit written about windshield height.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
alot of it has to do with your leg position.

the windshield creates a low pressure area behind it, and the wind comes up from the front wheel to fill that area, and that's what is blowing up.

if you put your legs out forward, they will act as a air scoop to scoop air into your face.

my RK windshield drives me NUTS. it vibrates my head so bad I can't see long distances. gives me a headache.

i have been slowly hacking away at mine.
a OEM replacement is ~$75 or so (saw one for $50 somewhere...)

mine is pretty short now, and the wind coming up is not bad, but it still buffets from side to side.

i am going to cut some width off it soon.

yeah, search, millions of threads on it.

i used a little cheapie on my ride across country,
go to www.mawonline.com and look for slipstreamer.

for $49, you can't beat it.
it's $149 in the HD catalog, with a little see thru HD logo on it.

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
wehohl said:
I have a Roadking Classic with stock windshield. I am trying to figure out if I need a higher or lower windshield.

When I ride at higher speeds I get alot of wind on forehead and trys to lift my helmet.

If I am riding without a helmet and I have a hat on, it feels like the wind would blow the hat off.

If I made the windshield a little higher, would that move the airflow above my head without causing any unusual handling of the bike.

I have very little experience with such matters.
Check out Cee Bailey SSC windshields. They really cut back on wind.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I had the same problem with the wind pushing everything up including my lighter nylon jackets. On my RK Custom I finally put the air deflector that goes under the nacelle by the bottom triple tree. It sort of looks like a small Frisbee cut in half and deflects air down. Might work for you. Sorry, can't recall the part number nor its actual name.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I have the chrome deflector on mine and cut my stock windshield down about 3 inches and have no problems with buffeting whatsoever. When I ocassionally ride w/o a helmet I still have to wear my ball cap backward to keep it on though. I cut mine down myself with a Dremel tool and belt sander and would be glad to share the procedure if you like. Many others have taken theirs to a glass shop and had them cut it down for about $20-$25.

Before cutting it down I would suggest you buy a cheap roll of pinstripe tape and run a pin stripe at 1" intervals following the top edge of the windshield and taper it out to the side edge to determine just how much you want to remove. I found that I, and most others prefer to look just over the top of the windshield than through it. The top of mine is about level with my mustache.

·
Grumpy Tricycle Pilot
219 Posts
I can only say that of the three bikes I ride with windshields (RK Custom w/ medium "classic" windshield, Fatboy with Nostalgic windshield, Wideglide with "sport-touring" windshield) the Road King is - surprisingly - the worst for wind buffeting and lift at high speeds. The Wideglide is best - almost serene behind the shield.

Seems to me that the RK's issues are due to airflow "up" from above the front fender and over the fuel tank - not from air going over or "around" the windshield. If I put my arm across the area in front of my chest (blocking the air coming up in front of me) most of the buffeting instantly goes away.

Though I'm not wild about the look, I am just about ready to try the fork and triple-tree deflectors.

·
Rider
848 Posts
I have an 06 FLHPI and the police windshield is 2" taller than a standard road king. I'm 6'4" ands it's perfect. I can see over the windshield but the wind goes over my head. Might be an option.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead...

Can anyone tell me the stock height for an RK Classic windshield? I bought mine used and am not sure if it's the original or not. Mine measures 20" from the top of the light cutout to the top of the shield.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I believe the official measurement of the stock RK windshield is 19.5" although on some websites I've seen it listed as 20". What's a half inch among friends?​

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Went and bought the HD windshield and it works great on my Fat Boy. I'm going to have to take it to a glass shop and have it cut down about 2 inches since no matter how much I stretch my neck up, I can barely see over the windshield...and I'm 6'.

I have a Mammoth Choppers solo seat so that might be the reason I can't see over the windshield. I now seat lower in the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts