V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my 03 Wide Glide in December and want to put a windshield among other things on it. I would like to be able to look over the top of the windshield, and was wondering which windshield to get. I am 5'9. Any advice on the brand and height of windshield I should get would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm gettin' my wide glide next month (I hope) and I only saw one windshield in the HD catalog that I would even consider. There's got to be a better aftermarket windshield than what HD offers.
Everybody keeps telling me that I need a windshield. I never planned on getting one and still don't (just the way I feel about it). But they're telling me I'll change my mind after I get the bike on some long trips because I'll be catching all that air. So I respond with "I've ridden plenty of bikes before without one -- I'll be OK"
What made you decide to go with the wide glide? I sure can't wait until I get mine. Good luck with finding the windshield.

·
Registered
240 Posts
redleafct said:
Any advice on the brand and height of windshield I should get would be appreciated.
Thanks
I have the Memphis Shades Rio Grande (19"), am 6'1" and it hits me about chin level.

Memphis Shades

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In response to your question, I decided to get the Wide Glide, because in my opinion, and I know that everyone is different, but to me, it is the best looking bike that Harley makes, and I really like the sporty look of the front end and the ape hanger handle bars. Also, being that it is a Dyna model, it will have the vibrations at low rpms that everyone expects that a Harley should have.
I totally agree with you about the windshield. I hate to put one on it, and I really think that it spoils the look of the bike. But like you, so many others have told me that once I ride with it on there that I will love it, especially on the longer rides at higher speeds. However, what convinced me to really get one was finding out that they make detachable windshields which can be put on and taken off in a matter of minutes I know that I can have a windshield on the bike when I am touring or taking long trips on the Interstate, and I can take it off when I am simply cruising around on it at lower speeds. Being detachable, I figure that I can have the best of both worlds.
By the way, I hope that you are looking forward to getting your Wide Glide as much as I am. I am like a little kid at Christmas time over this bike, and have been since the day I placed the order in July. Mine will be delivered sometimes the first of December, and hopefully I will be riding it by Christmas. Good luck to you, and happy riding. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have this one that I use for road trips. Attaches or detaches in about 10 seconds. Has minimal brackets/braces - gives it a clean look. See your HD dealer for details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maj,

That's the windshield that I saw in the Harley catalog that I was thinking about getting for my Wide Glide. I was wondering if you can comfortably look over this windshield when you are riding, and not have to look through it? Also, I am 5'9 and I was wondering if you think I would be able to look over it also while riding. Thanks for the pic in your posts, and any advice you can give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wide Glide W/S

:D

Redleafct:

I have a 2001 Wide Glide and I have the Harley full sized detachable windshield on it. I am 5' 11" and can see over the top of it. I first bought the shorter version, rode it for about five miles on the freeway, turned around and went back and exchanged it for the full size version. Believe me, after traveling a couple of hundred miles in a day even when there is no wind blowing, your fatigue factor will be cut in half!

I remember feeling like I was holding on for dear life when traveling at 70 or 75 mph, and your back and neck get tired from leaning forward and pushing into the slipstream too. I'm not a youngster, I'm over 50, and some of the younger guys may be able to ride all day without feeling it, but that w/s sure makes it more comfortable for me.

We won't even bring up the topics of sand trucks, bird crap, rain, and other little surprises that nature and the traffic in front of you can throw out. My windshield has the bar across the bottom third which makes it a little more rigid that some that are out there. It goes on in about 20 seconds and comes off that quickly also.

I agree with a lot of the guys that I like the looks of my bike without the w/s on, but for serious road riding it's great!

:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
redleafct said:
Maj,

That's the windshield that I saw in the Harley catalog that I was thinking about getting for my Wide Glide. I was wondering if you can comfortably look over this windshield when you are riding, and not have to look through it? Also, I am 5'9 and I was wondering if you think I would be able to look over it also while riding. Thanks for the pic in your posts, and any advice you can give would be appreciated.
I'm 6'6" and my WG has a different seat than the newer models so it would be tough for me to speculate on if you could see over it. I would guess yes. That particular model windshield comes in only one size. The ones with all the brackets/braces come in different heights. I used to run a much shorter windshield (I could see over) and all it did was funnel all the air right into my face. Was close to worthless.

I returned the first set of docking hardware to the dealer because I couldn't get the band clamps around my forks. We thought that the clamps might have been for the 39mm forks. The clamps for the second kit were a beeatch to put on but they finally fit. The kit also allows you to mount the turn signals to the forks. I like the look better than on the handlebars. You can leave'm on the handlebars but you get a tremendous amount of glare off the windshield at night.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If I do decide to get a windshield it will for sure be one of those quick mount and remove types. I just want to ride without it -- feel the wind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WindVest

I have an '02 wide glide and got losts of neck strain when riding 70 mph and above. A friend had a WindVest on his '98 softtail and liked it, so I got one of WindVest's 14" x 16" models made for my bike. It was extremely easy to install, it does not stand out in the way of looks and with a few trips up and down the road I adjusted it and found the sweet spot. The windshield has a spoiler top edge on it. The WindVest doesn't remove all wind from you like I have heard that some windshields do, but it take a large load off of your chest and head and keeps highway riding tolerable. It keeps a lot of grit and bugs off me and it removes with 2 allen screws in a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Anyone's lexan windshield can be trimmed to suit you, it's easy to do yourself. HD has the least obtrusive mounting system with their new clamp on mounts. Absolutely nothing remains on the bike when the shield is removed.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Austin,
Does H-D have the quick detach windshield for Wide Glides yet? The only one I can find is the one for narrow forks.
I just put a 19" Memphis Fats on mine to replace a 19" MS Rio Grande. Can't say as I really like either one. I get a lot more air underneath the Fats than I did with the Rio Grande. At 5' 11", I can see over both, although the Fats is taller. With the Fats adjusted straight up, there is a lot of wobbling going on around 70mph. With it angled back a little, stability is good but the wind is worse.
At 5' 9", one might want to consider a 17" windshield. This depends some on which seat you have, I have a Corbin Classic solo, which is lower than the stock seat or a Mustang Wide Vintage by about an inch.
Despite all my complaining, both windshields are tons better than no windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Guys, I've considered a windshield for my DWG for a while now. But I want the quick detachable one with the hardware built on to the windshield. Last time I checked, Harley did not have one that would fit the Wide Glides, but would fit the rest of the Dyna family. Is this still the case? Any know if this is still the case? I'm not a big fan of wind shields but for a really long road trip I can see the advantages.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just put a HD on my DWG and they do not have one for the wide forks that removes all of the hardware. You are left with the mounting straps on the upper forks. I am 5'11 and look about three inches over the top of my ws. I wish it was taller, will get a Memphis Fats 21 tall next time.. My advice, don't buy anything until you set on or get to ride a bike like yours with the shield on, or buy the big Memphis Fats and cut it down if it is too tall.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just a suggestion here folks, but if you primarily ride without a windshield but want one for longer trips, why not simply remove/replace the mounting hardware as needed? It's a 10 minute job, 15 max. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me and you'll save around $100 over the quick-detach.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
My reasoning is the 10 - 15 mins... call it lazy but I want to unhook and go. Plus I just don't want to mess with the extra hardware.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts