V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 RKC and the stock windshield is at the most annoying height. I either have to slouch and look through it or sit perfectly upright to look over it. Neither is a comfortable position.
Has anyone ever had a windshield cut-down?
The other alternative is to buy a new one.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I had mine cut down at a small acrylic plastics company in town and they did an excellent job. Did it while I waited, about 10 minutes. The guy took some off the sides also so it would look right.

I marked the windshield at the height I thought I wanted with a grease pencil and then rode around to make sure it was low enough. I wanted to look over mine and ended up getting in about one inch under my eye level.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I originally did same as fcoswell, worked gr8, cost $20. Later bought a Meier "short" windshield in smoked grey, 3" shorter than the stock King (about what i cut off). It cost about $55, I think, fit perfect on factory hardware. Found Meier with Yahoo search. HD also sells a short winshield, about $120 or so, i think.

ps, I found the acrylic plastics shop using a yellowpage search.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just out of curiousity, which is preferred...looking through or looking over?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I fit a shield from a 2002 Deuce onto my FXDX and it too was at that perfect height to annoy the crap out of me.
The top edge was exactly in my line of sight.
I cut the thing using a grease pencil and a 5 gallon bucket to get the line perfect, then I used a Dremel tool with a 1/8 bit to MELT my way through the line I had drawn. After removing 1.5" off the top, I used a sanding block and 100 grit paper to clean the cut edge. Then I used a buffing wheel with emery to smooth the edge to a nice appearance.
Worked GREAT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the great advice. This forum is great.

Most of the time I ride without the windshield and I like to wear a face shield on my helmet. When I have the windshield on I'm looking through two layers of distortion. I would prefer to look over the windshield; not to mention the annoying bend reflection near the top of the stock windshield.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I cut mine down. If your careful you can do it yourself. I taped the line where I was cutting and used a saber saw with a hack saw blade. After I cut it, I sanded with 150 sand paper to get the edge clean and finished with a fine wet sand paper.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got a good deal on a used quick detach windshield for my Low Rider. I guess it was standard sized because it annoyed my to no end looking through it. I called up our local glass shop and they said they could cut it down for me. All I did was mark the top where I wanted it, I didn't get it back yet so I don't know how it will be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've cut a couple of windshields down over the years. Best height I think is at about moustache level. Enough windshield to keep most of the air blast and bugs out of your face, but low enough to enjoy the view without looking through plastic. I've cut mine on a bandsaw with a fine blade. Taped on masking tape, marked it and sawed away. Just keep the shield in contact with the table of the saw near the blade, otherwise the blade will grab it and smack it around. A belt sander does a quick job of fairing the curve and rounding over the edges. Finish with higher grits of wet and dry paper, and some plastic polish.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have been told that if you tape both sides before trying to cut it, that it will help keep the acrylic from "spidering".....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Someone told me the ideal height was for the top of the windshield to be even with the tip of your nose. I tried a couple different heights off my buddies bikes on my Road King. I found the nose measurement fit me best. I can look just over it (I couldn't see through it at all in a heavy rain). Too low caused some very irritating buffetting with my half shell helmet.

I cut mine with a dremel tool, then sanded the edge. My buddy had his cut at a plastics place, took 10 min and $15. Well worth it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've generally thought the preferred height was where you could just look over the top and still get full protection. If you are going to cut (or have cut) the windshield to a fit, I found it helped to experiment with a piece of thin tape accross the shield so I could ride the bike to really determine the height I could see over (hard to tell when bike is parked). Most riders prefer looking over the shield due to distorsion (even when new, and worse with age) and dirt/bugs, etal.

Replacement shields are only about $60 (i.e. reusing the hardware) from aftermarket sources, both in clear and in smoked.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
hey nrevezzo ,,,you might consider whether or not you will ever have a rider backrest ,,it will make you sit up straight to look over it ,,,if you cut it down and then get backrest it will be too low,,,mines mouth level with a backrest and since there is NO slouching windshield hieght is always consistent,,,,and i miss 99.9 % of bugs,,,,however did take a hit from a bat one night on top of my helmet,,,sure wakes you up in a hurry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woodwalkertc88:
Thanks for the advice. It just so happens that I just purchased a rider's backrest. I'll be sure to test the windshield height with the backrest installed before I do any cutting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK,...."Thanks" fer the info on cutting them dwn.,...I have a gun metal pearl E/Glide,.. N "I" wanna Dark Tint (Privecy Tint) W/sheild, Any ideas?? They make a 6 inch (?) Blacked-out,...But, I want a taller 1,..Has anyone tinted their W/Sheild.........? er.......any ideas???!?

·
Registered
688 Posts
nrevezzo, I have been thinking about a rider backrest also. Please tell us what benefit you get out of it. Screwed up my back when I was bucking hay as a teenager, still paying for it. Need all the support I can get!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cromagnum: I'll let you know soon as possible; we're in the winter season here in Michigan. The temp this morning is a balmy +8. Fortunately not much snow a this time; of course winter's just starting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts