V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked out of my office this afternoon and my windshield was laying on the sidewalk. Blew clean off from today's wind. The safety latches are evidently sprung from taking it on and off. Tried to get the scratches off with Novus, but I'll be on Social Security before that stuff brings 'em out. What's good for scratches? Acetone too strong?

P.S. I'd have done a search, but I'm too lazy.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
GrayRider said:
What's good for scratches? Acetone too strong?
Oh, Bactine or mayby iodine. Don't use acetone. Stuff stings like hell!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
You are supposed to mount the windshield on the front of the bike, not the back.

This stuff takes a while, but will return plex to perfect condition. Start with cleaner and finish with polish.

If the scratches are deep, you may need to start with some 600-1000 grit sandpaper. You can also just buy the new plex portion of your windshield for like $90 bucks from the dealer.

The safety latches are worhless... took mine off. I thought I saw a new design, however, on my brothers '06... will check further for you.

You Can Get It Here:

Acetone will melt it!!! Please say you didn't already. Anti-Fungal treatments help, but only moderately.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimmyK said:
Oh, Bactine or mayby iodine. Don't use acetone. Stuff stings like hell!
When I worked at GM, some guys filled the boss' Scripto Vue cigarette lighter with acetone after he left it laying on his desk. Wasn't long before it ate it up and the little fishing fly was layin' on the desk. Ugly way to kill a fishing fly.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
GrayRider said:
When I worked at GM, some guys filled the boss' Scripto Vue cigarette lighter with acetone after he left it laying on his desk. Wasn't long before it ate it up and the little fishing fly was layin' on the desk. Ugly way to kill a fishing fly.

Yea? Had he gotten there any sooner you would not beluive what it would have done to his eyebrows. :brows:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Before you start using chemicals or wet sanding.....Is it clear or smoke (tinted)?
Tinted you can do a lot more damage than good.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Buy a new one and bolt it on. Mine has never fallen off, but it is bolted on.
If they went through the protective coating, you are screwed.
Acetone will eat the windsheild.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's time to take it off anyway. I only use it in cold weather and on trips. Besides, I've got 2 more, regular size and smoked short one (Useless). This was the 2" taller one.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Harleys Nothing Compares
176 Posts
Get a KIT called MICRO MESH and work the scratches out using 320 grit and keep sanding until your a 4000 Grit WET DRY PAPER -- Then use NOVUS POLISH to finish -- Works great on Aircraft Windows abd they are the same as Motorcycles

Peace

·
Smoke tires, not drugs.
46 Posts
I'm not sure how you guys are using sand paper on these windshields. There is a protective coating that you can go through very quickly, and it is very noticeable when you do. I've permanently scratched windshields before just by using too much Novus. The coating is pretty sensitive.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Since the weather here in Wyoming is crap today I decided to get organized early for my Laughlin trip this Friday. I use what 8 Ball uses. It works great but can be a bit of APITA. After three seasons I spend the $90 and just get a new one.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thats some funny s**t. Couple of years ago a bud and me were tooling across the SoCal desert and stopped to take a leak. Walked back out of the pucker bushes and got next to the bikes and a big rig comes flying past, the wind blast grabbed the windshield off his RKC and sent it skittering across the desert. A total WTF moment for both of us. There was no damage to the windshield. We bent those cheap springs a little tighter and it has not happened since.
AP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts