V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a windshield bag for a Road King running a bar mounted tach. The HD model only works without a tach. Have any of you found a solution for this other than removing the tach, or another product that works? On long trips, those little pouches up front sure are handy.

thanks
shooter

·
Registered
305 Posts
Someone sells a neat little bracket that will raise your standard windshield bag up about 2 inches. I can't find it anymore......I'm sure someone can.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I run a windshield bag on my RK. I have the tach mounted on the riser cover. I wasn't willing to give up my tach just to run a bag. I bought a raise-it bracket from Formotion Products The quality is quite good. It gets the bag up over the tach. I thought it might be a visible distraction, but after about the first 4 or 5 miles, you don't even notice. You do have to drill a hole in your windshield though. Good Luck. :)

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Shooter, take a look at that Formotion bracket. You can make one with a jig saw and old street sign in no time flat. Street signs are aluminum so you can polish it up to look good. I would not drill a hole in my windshild. I would use double faced tape on the back of it so you can take it off later if you want.

·
Registered
401 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
You can make one with a jig saw and old street sign in no time flat. Street signs are aluminum so you can polish it up to look good. I would not drill a hole in my windshild. I would use double faced tape on the back of it so you can take it off later if you want.
That's OK if you don't care what it looks like. Problem with homemade as opposed to the Formotion bracket is that it is shaped to fit over the windshield bar with an edge so that it won't pivot. The double faced tape would show through the clear windshield and wouldn't look too good IMHO. I have had the bag off & it didn't look bad w/o the bag with just the nice chrome bracket. Just my .02 worth. Price isn't really that bad ($30) considering the quality.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Bet I can cut one, bend it, and polish it with the old buffer to look as good as chrome. The double faced tape will go between the bracket and the windsheild bracket just to cushion the thing a little and to prevent it from turning. I can probably make it for about .02.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also installed the w/s bag and was not willing to give it up for the tach. Made my own [Riser] for the w/s bag [Billet] also radar det. mount, laye down lic. plate mount. But then I have a brigeport to work with, and would be willing to make more. ED

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys. I will take a look at the bracket and also consider cutting one myself.

Shooter

·
Registered
401 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Bet I can cut one, bend it, and polish it with the old buffer to look as good as chrome. I can probably make it for about .02.
I'll bet YOU can too. I, however would expend more time, materials, frustration and $ on tools I'd have to buy (even thought I have a lot already) than the bracket would cost.

I'm a pretty competent woodworker, but when it comes to metalworking I'm a tyro.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks Shooter for bringing this up and saving me some time. ( when I go to do my install). I was un aware of the "conflict".
Thanks to Rodan on the bracket lead too! Checked it out; looks like a nice fix for a nice price. Plus, I have'nt stolen a road sign since I was eleven, and never hung on to the one or two I did (Darn spring cleaning!). I must admit, the thought of explaining myself to a Cop one night makes me LOL. What the hell it could be fun. Then again, too much like work, and I can't really seem to rationalize the thought of hanging scrap metal off my 30G's.

Thanks Again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts