V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here please. I have a HD detatchable windshield that causes severe buffeting beginning at around 40 mph. It's pretty much useless. Decided to try a HD sport shield on the glide and just got back from trying to adjust. It's much better but still not quite right. How do you folks have yours adjusted? Raised above the headlight, down on it. Tilted forward or back. I'm 6'2" and would like to get to Daytona before I scramble my brain! Any suggestions?

03 Wide Glide

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think you can move the detachables around, maybe down, but not up. I'm 5'11" and get beat around with my HD detach too. I need to go taller, my next WS will be a Memphis Shades, as it is 2" taller I think. Am going to J&P next month to do some measuring just to be sure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
dusty67 said:
I don't think you can move the detachables around, maybe down, but not up. I'm 5'11" and get beat around with my HD detach too. I need to go taller, my next WS will be a Memphis Shades, as it is 2" taller I think. Am going to J&P next month to do some measuring just to be sure.
i have the new detachable for the 06 Dyna and it has 3" of up & down adj. depending on where u clamp it to the forks.
around town i like it at the top of it's travel but at 65+ mph all the way down let's the slipstream flow just over top my helment.
i realy love this windshield!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had a Memphis Fats on my wide glide and just recently changed it out for a Memphis Rio Grande. The Rio Grande is probably similar to the Harley sport shield, it's narrow and 19" high from headlight opening to the top. Both of mine work best at keeping the wind off when tilted forward (more straight up) and adjusted for height so I look just over the top. You want the wind to go over your head obviously, so move your left hand around in front of your face and over your head to see where the wind is going. Adjust the height accordingly. If your wind is coming up from underneath, not much you can do about that short of some fork mounted deflectors. Hold your hand, palm down, right over your 100th tank emblem to see if the wind is coming from down there. Most of mine comes from underneath, it's not severe just annoying.
The Fats shield was like a flat barn door and caused some instability starting around 70 if it was straight up. I had to compromise by tilting it back some, more wind but more stable at speed. The Rio Grande doesn't cause any instability, being much narrower and more rounded.
You're not going to get rid of all the wind, but you should be able to adjust out some of the "severe buffeting" if you have enough adjustment available.

·
Registered
523 Posts
'03 Wide Glide, I have a '06 FXDL with Compact Detachable Windshield (14.25" from headlight opening to top) and it does buffet me when as low as possible on forks but is quit comfy when as high as possible. I'm 5'8". Hope this helps. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the Compact Detachable windshield on my '06 Wide Glide. I'm 6'2" and the wind hits me square in the face. It really becomes noticeable around 50 mph. When wearing a half helmet, my head vibrates so bad I can barely see. It's not as bad when wearing my modular helmet with the front pulled down, but I usually only do that when the temp is 35 or below.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Memphis Fats windshields. The 21" model would give me almost 3 more inches of windshield and would probably help a bunch.

Thanks

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
The top of your windshield, should be adjusted, to be slightly lower than your eye-level. This allows you to have unrestricted vision, but still have the air flow above your face. It also makes the light rain, bugs, etc. go over you.

If it rains/hails/bugs/etc. really hard, you can just tuck your head down a little to avoid the face blasting. (Vision through a windshield can be quite distorted, especially with nightime oncoming vehicles' lights.) Try it; I'm sure you'll find it quite comfortable.

Wes.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Gary_L said:
I'd be interested in hearing more about the Memphis Fats windshields. The 21" model would give me almost 3 more inches of windshield and would probably help a bunch.
Thanks
Gary, the Fats I have is a 19" and I cut 1" off it so I could see over it. I'm only 5-11 so you have a little more height. I also have a Corbin solo that puts me down about an inch from stock. As I mentioned above, what I don't like about the Fats is that if it is adjusted straight up for best wind protection, it causes instability at higher speeds. This instability is very noticable and annoying starting around 70mph, it feels like you're riding on deep rain grooves. The 19" Rio Grande I have on now (it's actually the 2nd one I've had) provides nearly the same wind protection but doesn't cause the instability, plus it looks a lot better on a WG.
Here's a pic of mine with the Fats before I cut it down.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks, Murph. The Rio Grande is indeed a better looking windshield.

The shield I have now measures a tad over 18" from the cutout to the top. The only adjustments you can make is where you clamp it on the forks. The top of the windshield is about chin high on me. The windshield is pretty much aligned with the rake angle.

I think the rake angle on a WG plays a factor. I had the same type windshield on my Superglide, and it worked fine. I think adjusting the angle of the windshield on a WG would help, but I'm not sure how that would affect the stability or handling.

All I know to do at this point is put on the tallest windshield I can find, and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Gary, I'm pretty sure you're correct about the rake on the WG. I just noticed you have an 06, which is 34*. If you had a pre 06 SG, it was only 28*. Big difference. I can tilt the Rio Grande so the top swings through a 6" arc and the Fats would do about the same. That's roughly +/-3" from fork angle. If I remember my trigonometry correctly, that's about 20*. I don't think Memphis Shades has mounting clamps yet for the 49mm forks, but when they do have them, you might want to try a Fats. They're not tremendously expensive.

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
I have the HD detachable on my '05 WG and have signifiant buffeting at freeway speeds. I would like to install some wind deflectors on the lower forks but cannot find any that fit the Dynas.
Any know where I might find them?
Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
g480628 said:
I have the HD detachable on my '05 WG and have signifiant buffeting at freeway speeds. I would like to install some wind deflectors on the lower forks but cannot find any that fit the Dynas.
Thanks, Steve.
Rifle and Memphis Shades both make them.
Rifle
Memphis Shades

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
g480628 said:
Thanks, Steve.
I'm running a 19" Memphis Fats with lowers. While I'm not overly thrilled about the looks of the lowers, they do block a lot of wind that comes up under the windshield. Comfort is always a compromise and I'm satisfied with the protection of the lowers and the slightly less cool looks.

T113

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
Murphdog, thanks for the links. That is just what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

Trooper, while being cool is of primary concern, I will compromise for the comfort. Thanks for the input.

Steve.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Murph. J&P has mounting hardware for "06 WGs' for the Fats windshield. That is the only windshield so far that has mounting hardware.

Trooper and G, I'm planning on adding the lowers late next fall, assuming that mounting hardware is available. I'm even thinking of bolting on an engine guard with soft covers for the cold months next winter. I'm told that in addition to keeping the wind off your feet, heat off the engine will help keep the tootsies warm.

Feet legs and hands are my problem areas on cold days. I'm hoping the lowers will help with the first two. For my hands, I may wind up with Hippo Hands, since I've not yet found any heated grips that work with internally wired handlebars.

So the bike ain't gonna look real purty next winter. But, after almost 33 years of working outside at the phone company, I've learned to not let looking cool interfere with keeping warm.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Gary_L said:
Thanks Murph. J&P has mounting hardware for "06 WGs' for the Fats windshield. That is the only windshield so far that has mounting hardware.
Gary,
guess I didn't look close enough on the Memphis Shades website, they do have the mounting hardware. You can get it here cheaper than J&P. I've ordered quite a lot of stuff from them with no problems. They have the lowers hardware also MEM9890

·
Banned
871 Posts
03 Wide Glide said:
Need a little help here please. I have a HD detatchable windshield that causes severe buffeting beginning at around 40 mph. It's pretty much useless. Decided to try a HD sport shield on the glide and just got back from trying to adjust. It's much better but still not quite right. How do you folks have yours adjusted? Raised above the headlight, down on it. Tilted forward or back. I'm 6'2" and would like to get to Daytona before I scramble my brain! Any suggestions?

03 Wide Glide
I'm using the stock windshield on my Dyna convertible. I adjusted it so the top was level with my nose. I used to get some slight buffeting, but added some home-made lower deflectors, which totally eliminated the buffeting. They mount just below the turn signals and I made them so they are adjustable. You can buy similiar items from J&P Cycle for a decent price, and they look nice, too. By the way, I'm 6'7", so my head is up there quite a ways.... :D I've ridden up to 135 mph with no problems with handling.

I'll tell ya... for many years I swore I'd never put a windshield on my bike (only old geezers do that! LOL!), but now that I'm approaching "geezer status", it would be hard to get rid of it. I still take it off on the really hot days, but usually I just remove the lowers and I get enough wind from below the windshield to keep me cool. I can hear the engine a lot better with it on, too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
for what it's worth "03 wide glide", i'm in the process of making custom brackets for my HD windshield so that it will lift it up and lay it back a little. i figure i'll need both to get the wind over me, and help smooth out the air hitting the w/s...

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have an 05 Superglide and tried both the Memphis Fats and the Slim. The Fats caused so much buffeting at highway speeds I couldn't stand it. It didn't seem to matter how I adjusted it. The Slims is better, it doesn't buffet as much but then you don't get as much protection. I know windshields are a personal thing, but I don't recommend the Memphis Shades because of the buffeting. I just got a National Cycle Deflector screen, I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I remember from my old rice burner days that they were great. No buffeting and decent protection. I'll post a report once I can give it a good test. If it works I'll be happy since it was under $70 from Discount Cycle Parts.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Hey Kevjud once you get that National Cycle Deflector mounted and test ridden post back with your opinion and a photo if possible or shot me a photo by email. I have been considering the deflector screen. I prefer to ride with out and do not mind except foer those long trips with 4 plus hours of riding. I am looking to reduce my fatigue for long rides only. The defelctor seems to look OK and the price is right. I do not want to spend a lot on a windshield that will sit in my garage 75% of the time. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.