V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the windsheild off my 06 RKC for the first time and took a nice ride. All I can say is it feels like a new bike. Almost like a sport bike. :laugh: It just seems so much lighter and handles so different. Got alot more crap in my face, but the bike handles so much beteer. Didn't know the windsheild was that big of a sail. Anyone else experience this?

Jimmy

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Jimmy,
There are times on the highway when I wish I had a windshield. However, for blasting around town or cruising below 65 mph I do not miss it, nor do I want one. I do concentrate on keeping my mouth shut. :eek: Bugs hurt...and big hard bugs REALLY hurt. Took a piece of asphalt in the chest last summer when I was going about 50 mph. It was kicked up by a car coming toward me. I saw it coming but could only tense and ride on through it. Hit me like a big, fat, bullet. By the time I got off the bike at the American Legion 2 miles down the road, I had a really nicely swelled up hemotoma....turned black real fast and then many beautiful colors over the next few days.

Enjoy no windshield around town and for lower speed cruising... and put it on for the interstate. Just my opinion pal.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Steve

steveusmc said:
Jimmy,
There are times on the highway when I wish I had a windshield. However, for blasting around town or cruising below 65 mph I do not miss it, nor do I want one. I do concentrate on keeping my mouth shut. :eek: Bugs hurt...and big hard bugs REALLY hurt. Took a piece of asphalt in the chest last summer when I was going about 50 mph. It was kicked up by a car coming toward me. I saw it coming but could only tense and ride on through it. Hit me like a big, fat, bullet. By the time I got off the bike at the American Legion 2 miles down the road, I had a really nicely swelled up hemotoma....turned black real fast and then many beautiful colors over the next few days.

Enjoy no windshield around town and for lower speed cruising... and put it on for the interstate. Just my opinion pal.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

Yeah I did eat a little protein today. And there's still lots of sand/salt on the road. I'll put it back on when doin a trip but I just couldn't believe the difference. And the wind in the face....:wootdnc: Wife likes it better with the sheild, her hair get's more tangled...

Are you retired after 31 years in the corps, or still going strong?

Jimmy

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Out of all the bike riding I have done I have never had a wind sheild. The ride is much more enjoyable with the wind in my face. An RKC looks so much nicer without a windshield on it too. Keep that baby off and ride that scoot. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fatb0y said:
Out of all the bike riding I have done I have never had a wind sheild. The ride is much more enjoyable with the wind in my face. An RKC looks so much nicer without a windshield on it too. Keep that baby off and ride that scoot. :)
Het Fatb0y,

It does look sweet with it off:D , just gotta invest in some dental floss. This is my first wind sheild so I just put it in a pillow case and under the bed. Maybe the wife will forget about it.....#[email protected]

Jimmy

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
You guys are freaking nuts. I just left sportster land and landed in windshield heaven. Not grit, bugs, road kill, cold wind to the face, or swooping birds in the chest anymore. Perhaps I'm taking all the fun outta riding. But sheesh...that won't fun to me. :nope:

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
Never rode with a windshield before my Harley.But remembering the imprompt snacks while riding without one,I bought one for this bike. It was very strange at first,and wasn't sure I liked it. But as the bugs and other debri piled on it,and the relaxed ride at freeway speeds was a nice thing too. I am now a full convert to the windshield crowd.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
rkt88403 said:
Never rode with a windshield before my Harley.But remembering the imprompt snacks while riding without one,I bought one for this bike. It was very strange at first,and wasn't sure I liked it. But as the bugs and other debri piled on it,and the relaxed ride at freeway speeds was a nice thing too. I am now a full convert to the windshield crowd.
I gotta agree...rode all my life without but a couple of years ago we had a Cicada invasion and I wasn't prepaired dodge those bullets so I got a sport windscreen (sounds like a smaller more macho version) but I think I gonna wimp out and buy a bigger one...

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I like running around town with out the windsheild but as soon as I plan on leaving the city limits I put the short screen on. If I am going to ride all day at highway speeds I have the tall screen. The Wife prefers the tall screen and a full face.
I couldn't imagine what it would be like to hit a cloud of Mayflies at70, I'd have to pressue wash my teeth...

Fat Tony

·
Registered
944 Posts
fattony said:
I like running around town with out the windsheild but as soon as I plan on leaving the city limits I put the short screen on. If I am going to ride all day at highway speeds I have the tall screen. The Wife prefers the tall screen and a full face.
I couldn't imagine what it would be like to hit a cloud of Mayflies at70, I'd have to pressue wash my teeth...

Fat Tony

@gree: Fat Tony is right on here....

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
better motor sound w/o windshield

What I notice the most on the occasion that I take off the windshield from my virtually stock '05 RKClassic is a change in the sound of the motor. Of course it has to do with removing the large reflecting surface, the windshield, but science aside I do like the motor sound better without the windshield. It sounds deeper, less clanky (is that a word?). However, I still prefer the windshield on most of the time, especially at highway speeds.

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Frikkin' bunch of wimps.

The only time my shield goes on is when the wife comes for a ride. We geez the entire bike including windshield for her riding enjoyment.

The second she gets off, everything comes back off regardless of the distance.

If I gotta pack luggage, then the windshield goes back on.

I love the 95 mile an hour wind and at that speed it is easy to ident the species you come in contact with based on the imprint they leave.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I'm with you 8-Ball, I much prefer it off. The wife hates when it's not on, something about not being able to breath or holding her helmet down. I'll put it on below 40 though, gotta love the quick release system.

Dodging those bugs are part if the fun! Catching one on the lips is always nice!

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
JimmyAGR said:
I just took the windsheild off my 06 RKC for the first time and took a nice ride. All I can say is it feels like a new bike. Almost like a sport bike. :laugh: It just seems so much lighter and handles so different. Got alot more crap in my face, but the bike handles so much beteer. Didn't know the windsheild was that big of a sail. Anyone else experience this?

Jimmy
Yah...My Heritage Classic feels more nimble with the shield off. Maybe it's less weight on the steering head?

·
Registered
675 Posts
There are bugs, then there are BUGS!

:yikes: Here in Texas we deal with plenty of bugs, pretty much year round. I had never ridden with a windshield before I put one on my FXD, but the only time it comes off now is when I wash the scoot. We have June bugs here, at 70 MPH a June bug to the chest feels like a 44 slug, then go to the Piney Woods and the "love bugs" are worse. You cross a river bottom and you can't see thru the windshield when you get to the other side. Those little buggers are so sticky it almost takes gasoline to get 'em off, and if you leave 'em on for a week they ain't all comin' off. Then there is the constant barrage of assorted projectiles comin' at you from all directions. The roads here stay torn up and under construction, so no shortage of those, and that is before the stray rounds in the neighborhood from the domestic violence settlement process and then there's the drive-bys. With all this debris in the air I don't see how they can fly the 747's out of DFW!:D All BS aside*TIBS* , I was surprised how much difference it made in the ride. I must be gettin' old or my taste is changing because now I like getting my protein intake from a big steak, medium-well with a baked tater and all the trimmings. I guess I have joined the "geezer gang"!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I take it off for a week or two a year. Nice around town, does feel sportier. View is nicer. But in the rain, sucks. Nothing like having your flesh ripped from your skull, atleast that is what it feels like. Not to mention in the cold.

Also going down the highway cheeks are blown back like a dog with its head out the window.

I like detachable, but leave it on most of the time. This is definitely a personnel prefernce. Could probably start a bar fight with this topic after 1am.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
berserker said:
This is definitely a personnel prefernce. Could probably start a bar fight with this topic after 1am.
I agree, I think most would agree that it would be preferred to ride without the shield but due to bugs and other objects the windshield is a necessity, plus it greatly reduces fatigue in windy conditions and keeps you warmer in cold temps. It's a personal choice for sure, for me, I never had a windshield until I got my Harley's. When I was younger I thought guys were pussys for having a windshield, now that I am older and not as tough, I use it for protection when the bugs are heavy-it's raining-it's cold-it's very windy.

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
When I bought my first Electra Glide about 7 years ago, I had never rode with a windshield before. Now, I won't ever ride without one. If that makes me a geezer, well, so be it. Hey, texastooltime, roll that wheelchair on over and I'll buy you a beer. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts