V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just found this forum today.
I have a 2002 v-rod , I had it since may ,
I have owned a gold wing and two ultra classics .
I LOVE THIS BIKE.............
I only have one small complaint, when I am on the road and traveling above 60 mph and there are many vehicles or big trucks, the bike seems to lift and it feels very lite in the front...
has anyone else had this problem
I am betting the radiator intake is causing this problem
other than this I WON'T COMPLAIN

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Welcome aboard worm,
My best guess is crosswinds or turbulence from traffic amplified by your front disc wheel/sail.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have noticed this tendancy as well, when I am riding alone on the interstate. When I am riding with a passenger, we did not experience it.
Things that make you go hmmmm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Agree with Rob, its the solid front wheels. On my list of things to change for next year.

Pete

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not agree on the solid wheel thing, everyone wants to point there first. At higher speeds even with a spoke wheel the air will not pass through. we ran an experiment at the shop with a fan and some water.
I feel the bike lifting a little bit from the other vehicles turbulance.
at first I thought is was just me, but other guys have mentioned the same problem. Well it looks like we will just have to get used to it.
I am enjoying the ride every day I can......:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey worm, just wanted to say Hi, and I think what you are feeling is because of the rake. We all feel it, and after awhile you don't notice it as much and get use to it. But, you got to say AWESOME bike.
Got a little over 9k miles on mine and still can't get that smile off.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
603 Posts
wormbase, I have not noticed any problems at 100+. This is one stable bike. The solid wheels contribute little to crosswind drift. Exactly what symptoms (problems) are you experiencing and have you checked your front end fall away ?

JMS

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS to all for welcoming me here........

in reply to jms, what I experience is when my speed is above 60 mph and only when along side big vehicles or in heavy moving trafic, is a lifting of the front end of the bike. I can goes as fast as I want on any empty hiway with no wind problems or should I say a lifting of front end problem. but nothing will take the enjoyment of the ride from me on this bike..........:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
wormbase, what do you mean by "a lifting of the front end of the bike", and "a lifting of front end problem" ? Can you be more specific ? Does the bike wobble, drift, understeer, etc. ? Has the fall away been checked, have you checked your tire psi ? How many miles on your VROD ? Did you talk to your mechanic ? Are your axles torqued ? What did you ride before ? Do you have a windshield ? The more specific that you can be, the easier it will be to diagnose your concern. It sounds like your bike is exibiting normal behavior behind the air wake of other vehicles.

JMS

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to answer you JMS you are correct in saying the wake of other vehicles
and yes my harley tech says yes its normal, but would he say different??
my bike seems to get very lite in the front and it feels like the front tire is actualy lifting up. my harley guys says "well its a very lite bike you know" I have been on honda elite scooters that didnt do this.
my last three rides were full dressers, right now I got about 2000 miles on my bike I am adjusting to this feeling I have checked tire presure and all other facters I have small winshield but took it off and made sure it wasnt the problem. I am convinced the wake of big vehicles gets in to the radiator intakr and lifts the bike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi V-ROD friends,

regarding the front end shaking many V_ROD drivers feel: I think it is a result of the rake, the solid front wheel & wheels size the radiator that catches the wind.

But since I had my bike customized with new rims, front wheel changed to 18" instead 19" and bike lowered with shorter rear shocks it is gone. Before those changes I felt very uncomfortable and avoided riding directly behind cars with about 70-100 km/h. It felt like the bike was shaking and not running straight. Riding in free wind at any speed no problem.

Now I do not feel any shaking going behind a car at any speed even though my drag bar is 100 cm wide and I catch more wind with my arms now. It feels much more comfortable now.

I think it was 80% the solid wheel & wheel size and maybe 20% the radiator (such little air flow in there can not really lift a nearly 300 kg bike + rider).

Holli

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
response to HOLLI:
well it looks like you solved the problem, you describe it perfect...
you got the proof under you!!! thank you very much.
I will certainly give it a try

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem and changed the front wheel with a performance machine slotted wheel. The problem has been fixed and it looks great! I no longer have the problem and feel very safe riding with crosswinds....check out my post..I have a pic of the wheels

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have owned 3 Fatboys and they like the V-rod will give you a "floating" effect when you get in the tubulance of a big truck, motorhome, or any other large box going down the road. If you get caught by a gust of high wind it will also upset the bike{and scare the hell out of you}. I blame the disc wheels.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with Worm. I don't think wind would pass through any wheel (spoked, slotted or otherwise) at 60mph. At that speed it's just like a solid disc isn't it?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bermuda I used to agree with your thought. But on my last Fatboy I changed the disc wheels to Harley Lightning Star mags and the turbulance and wind gust problems were totally gone! I've spent to much on my V-ROD for now to go to billet wheels. I'm hoping H.D. comes out with some spoke or mags for the V-ROD's!

·
Registered
725 Posts
It could be what we are used to. The V-Rod is more stable and rail-like in windy conditions than the light and nimble sport bikes I ride with shorter wheelbases and slab sided fairings.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Prepare for takeoff..

Like the rest of you, when I first got my V-Rod I noticed the tendency of the bike to wander when encountering turbulence at speed. And I also initially blamed the the disc wheels. This I now feel to be mistaken. I believe that the problem is related to downforce - as the bike goes faster more air builds up under the bike and effectively "lightens" the front wheel - thus exaggerating the effects of any crosswind or turbulence.

The best way to minimize this effect is to reduce the overall aerodynamic drag - snug fitting leathers, boots, and a full-face helmet. Also, I have found that leaning forward and dropping your head slightly when encountering turbulence helps. Lastly, I have found that smaller windshields can act as a front "wing" to help keep the front wheel firmly planted. (If you don't believe me - take a look at most sportbike fairings. They certainly aren't there to keep wind out of the riders face - they are there to provide enough aerodynamic downforce to prevent the bike from flipping over as they touch 190 mph on the backstaight)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would think that a solid disk wheel would act like an airfoil in differing conditions while in turbulence.

The wheels have a camber which could cause low Vs. high pressures depending on which side has turb. and which side has relatively smoother air. This could be the effect that we are feeling while riding behind other cars or being passed by a large vehicle.

A spoked or slotted wheel would not, I repeat not, cause this same problem at speed. Although it looks like a disc a speed it is still not solid and will not create low vs. high pressure areas.

Just my .02 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts