V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe it's just cause I'm new to the touring style of riding, but whats up with the wind. I was going home yesterday in what felt like 100 mph wind. I was being led off the pavement and had to strain to keep it on the road? I pulled over off the highway and the wind seemed to be blowing no more than about 15-20 mph. Is it just the mass of the RG that makes it act like a sail in cross winds? I've never seemed to notice the wind that much on any other bike? Any info. or suggestions wouod be appreciated.

Thanx, Mo:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
got solid rims on it?

prolly need a list of stuff on your bike.

the solid rims on a V-rod will almost blow the bike out from under when exiting off ramps.

how many miles/how used to the bike are you?

my wife sits sideways on her bike (trying to put left knee on something, and right knee is way out on the air cleaner)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04CTD,
Have stock 9 spoke rims, have 600 miles on bike, just bought it a few weeks ago, so not very used to it.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I like the way the RG handles the wind. The fairing is frame mounted and the wind doesn't mess with steering. You mus have got the "perfect wind", because this bike is better than than the ones with batwings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I can say is that it was the weirdest feeling I 've ever had riding. Maybe it was the perfect wind. Who knows. Maybe it was just the way the cross wind was hitting?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have to go with the majority and say a RG should not act like that, or at least none of the RG riders I know have complained of such. It is mostly us guys with the Batwings that have really figure out how to overcome HD design short comings (long story).

·
Wrench This
271 Posts
What was the weather like?

Mo1 said:
Ok, maybe it's just cause I'm new to the touring style of riding, but whats up with the wind. I was going home yesterday in what felt like 100 mph wind. I was being led off the pavement and had to strain to keep it on the road? I pulled over off the highway and the wind seemed to be blowing no more than about 15-20 mph. Is it just the mass of the RG that makes it act like a sail in cross winds? I've never seemed to notice the wind that much on any other bike? Any info. or suggestions wouod be appreciated.

Thanx, Mo:hmmm:
I get tossed around a lot on the Ultra in winds, especially with the deflectors on. But i REALLY get tossed around when the skies are clear blue, sunny, and especially after a cold front just passed through. Reason? The cool air is denser, so it has more of an impact force for a given wind speed.

Hot, muggy humid days with low pressure, and you'll barely notice a 20 mph wind.

Just a thought.

C.W.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R-rated and Seadub,

Thanks for the info. I agree I've been in other wind situations on the RG and hardley even noticed them. Will give it some time and more wind to see if that was just a fluke.

·
banal
486 Posts
I have to confirm what Mo1 is reporting here. My long-awaited first ride on a Road Glide was this past summer on a friend's fairly new 07. It happened to be a very windy day. My first couple of miles on the freeway was into the wind and I was impressed with the glide's fairing. But holy crap when I rounded a bend and had a direct cross wind, this bike was a total mess. I was white knuckling just as bad as in pouring down rain between 2 eighteen wheelers, and couldn't wait to trade back.

My theory is the shear side mass of the fairing picks up significant drag. I've been in every possible wind situation on Road Kings (including Road King with a Dragonfly batwing fairing) for the past 5 years, and my Sportster before that, and have felt nothing like this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carbide,

Thast exactly what happened to me. I was heading into the wind and all was fine, once I rounded a bend, WHAM all of a sudden it was a whole different ride with the sudden cross winds. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue coming home from work a few weeks ago. I thought the wind was going to blow the bike over. Took all I had to keep the bike upright and from veering into oncoming traffic. I watched the news that night to see how strong the wind was. They said only 15-20 mph. Very disconcerting!!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
04ctd said:
got solid rims on it?
Old wives tale. A bagger has the rear wheel blocked all the time anyway. I've never notice addtional cross wind due to solid rims since switching. :)

·
Screamin' Beagle
219 Posts
Look at a photo of a Road Glide taken from the side, and one of an Electraglide or Road King taken from the side.

There is your answer.

The RG guys always brag about how good the bike is "in the wind" and it IS, as long as the wind is coming at you from the front. Simple physics dictates that in a crosswind situation, the more mass for the wind to catch WILL cause the bike to be pushed around more. Take a GL1800 into some strong crosswinds sometime, if you really want a fun trip.

The batwing fairing has MUCH less of a profile from the side, and it will get blown around less, accordingly. IF, the wind is truly coming in at a 90 degree angle.

The big difference though, is that the Road Glide will have the entire bike shoved around, whereas the batwings tend to have the handlebars wiggled around. Which is better or worse, is kinda up to you.

·
banal
486 Posts
harley92 said:
try counter steering when the wend hits you from the side it helps a lot and your not so beet up after the fact
Good advice, which is what I always do to counteract the wind. Gets tricky when gusting, but certainly more effective than trying to lean back and forth. On my ride on the Road Glide, the gusts were strong but intermittent, which is what made it so difficult.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Road King Classic V. Road Glide

I ride a 2005 Road King Classic and finally got a chance to take an '08 Road Glide out for a test run. I always figured my next bike, whenever that might be, would be the Road Glide. However, I experienced way way unacceptable wind buffeting similar to what others have spoken about on this thread.

I couldn't believe it quite frankly so I got back on my Classic and took the same route right away and the difference, ie improvement with the Classic, was like night and day. Maybe one test ride isn't giving the Road Glide a fair chance but I sure am happy I have the Road King Classic for now.

Cheers.

p.s. The 6-speed transmission is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts