V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another question for for you How hard any any suggestions for cutting down a windshield that i got off ebay Its a aftermarket part thanks

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Cutting down a windshield is easy, making it longer is impossible. I would first decide how I want to cut it by making a cardboard stencil from the mounted winshield and laying it against the winshield to be cut.

You can then cover the windshield to be cut with blue or green painters tape to protect it from scratches and scuffs and then use the stencil to make an outline with a pen or marker. Using a fine blade in a jigsaw will yield a fairly smooth edged cut providing you dont try to cut too fast and melt the material.

After you cut it to your desired shape you can sand the cut edge with sandpaper in gradually finer and finer grades. Note that the smoother your initial cut is the less sanding that will be required to smooth the cut edge! Take care to only sand the cut edge and not the inner or outer surface of the winshield, you'll sand through the tape pretty fast. when you have it fairly smooth you can give it a final wet sanding with automtive type sandpaper.

If you plan to install it clear leave as musc tape on as you can witout interfering with the mounting process to protect it from your tools and hardware. If not clear then you can pull off the tape and take the opportunity to paint it or tint it the way you want before mounting it.

Anyhow, that's how I,ve done it in the past and I've gotten decent results with limited talent! Sorry for the longwinded post but you did ask. -2$en#e-

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
LE PEW said:
Cutting down a windshield is easy, making it longer is impossible.
Sort of. There's a doohickey somewhere out there that bolts on to the top of your screen. Though I think it's primary purpose is to redirect airflow up over your head it does also raise the screen height. Principally seen on Wings, I would guess :D

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
If you don't want to mess with it yourself any glass place in your area would do it for you ,just mark it out for them and they'll do a nice job for around $20 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts