V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it such a big difference from my Sportster with no screen? Is it because the wind is concentrated as opposed to hitting you everywhere equally? I never had a wiind noise concern with my Sportster, but the Street Glide had my ears almost bleeding. Yeah, I got rid of that ridiculous 4" screen after some hearing damage...got a 9" Clearview with the recurve feature (great piece). Now, I think I need to change my 3/4 helmet for a half helmet because of the reverb thing going on in it. I also have custom ear plugs (which seem to increase that drumming effect). Face it, I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:dunno:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
kshapiro said:
Why is it such a big difference from my Sportster with no screen? Is it because the wind is concentrated as opposed to hitting you everywhere equally? I never had a wiind noise concern with my Sportster, but the Street Glide had my ears almost bleeding. Yeah, I got rid of that ridiculous 4" screen after some hearing damage...got a 9" Clearview with the recurve feature (great piece). Now, I think I need to change my 3/4 helmet for a half helmet because of the reverb thing going on in it. I also have custom ear plugs (which seem to increase that drumming effect). Face it, I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:dunno:
You are on the right track.....I've got a 4" black screen for sale right now.
All the wind that hits the fairing gets pushed up into your face. In the summertime...add bugs to that comment. The wind wings that hook onto the side of the fairing help also.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Man...this must be terrible. Sorry I can't help. I don't get any of that. How tall are you? I'm slightly over 6'0. Seems if you're shorter than that, the wind wouldn't really be able to get to you at all. :dunno:

·
Recon
839 Posts
Wind noise? I have the clearview 6" black recurve and have no wind in the face. even with the 4 i did not have "noise". You might have something loose???? I am 5' 10".

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5'11". It's MUCH better with the 8" Clearview.

Rock Steady said:
Man...this must be terrible. Sorry I can't help. I don't get any of that. How tall are you? I'm slightly over 6'0. Seems if you're shorter than that, the wind wouldn't really be able to get to you at all. :dunno:

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 4" was OK until you hit 70+MPH. I'm about 5'11", and nothing is loose. I think it may be the helmet...a HD 3/4 "Jet". I know some folks have complained about the "can" effect with FF helmets, so maybe it's many helmets that cover the ears. You'd think it would make things quieter in there, but I'm strating to think it makes things worse.

Ralston said:
Wind noise? I have the clearview 6" black recurve and have no wind in the face. even with the 4 i did not have "noise". You might have something loose???? I am 5' 10".

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
:huh: I'm not trying to be a smart ass...really...cause I'm capable of asking some similar type questions with things tha bug me, but questions regarding wind noise and motorcycles just kind of makes me laugh.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Must be drowning out the stock mufflers.

Couldn’t help my self.:whistle:

Kenny:sofa:

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess you're not experienced enough to understand...that's OK. I've ridden for 37 years. I've always had bikes without windshields or fairings (unless you count my '89 FXR with a Corbin Warbird kit a fairing). The SG is my first bike with a fairing. Once again, using the stock 4" screen and doing 70-80 MPH for about 225 miles, I actually damaged my hearing from the wind coming of the fairing and hitting my helmet. I can do 90 MPH on my Sportster and not get that kind of experience. I was looking for some knowledge about this, but if it made you laugh, that's cool.

BTW, hope your dog dies.:thumbsup:

JagmanR said:
:huh: I'm not trying to be a smart ass...really...cause I'm capable of asking some similar type questions with things tha bug me, but questions regarding wind noise and motorcycles just kind of makes me laugh.

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rhinehart True Duals...and they're not the problem. My Sportster with SE slip ons is louder, at least for the rider as they're staggered and closer to the ears.

Kenny (only one "e")

Kenney said:
Must be drowning out the stock mufflers.

Couldn’t help my self.:whistle:

Kenny:sofa:

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty Sure It Was The Helmet

Just went over to the local HD Store and bought their new Kevlar Carbon 1/2 helmet. Rode with it (and my earplugs) up to 90MPH and it's MUCH better than that HD 3/4 "Jet" helmet with the movable face shield. Pretty sure the problem is solved. I'm still not sure why the 3/4 was fine for 2 years on a non fairing bike, but it's obviously something about the way the air moves around an EGs fairing, and that helmet.

·
Fuk ya'll, I'm from TEXAS
2,227 Posts
HD also makes a wind baffel that mounts on the bottom of the triple tree and blocks the wind that comes up between the gas tank and the fairing and redirects it to the motor. Had mine on for a couple of months and noticed a big difference. it was about 25 bucks

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree with Kraven that those 4" windshields suck.
I had one on my bike for 20 minutes and could'nt get it off fast enough.
If I had to design something to direct maximum wind, bug and debris blast to my face it would be that 4" windscreen.

Get one that you can see over the top of and sends the wind over your helmet.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I think that you'll find that it's your helmet. Go to a full face or a half shell and see the change.

Also, the wing vents (Kuryaken makes a set that are adjustable) help a lot, too.

J.C.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I see you've asked this in two different threads, so I'll throw my .02 in here and let the other one die.
I noticed the same thing when I went from an 883 to a Road King Classic, although its not bad.
Regarding the helmets I normally use the 3/4 Jet as well. I tried a full face once, it was much louder. I have no idea why that is.:dunno:
On the touring bikes maybe the noise is being concentrated back at you by the fairing and windshield. Just look at the shape, they look vaguely like a rooftop dish focusing almost right at your head.
I wonder if the noise is worse on bikes with fairings, I haven't tried one yet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts