V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that JimmyK's story of "Wind at 38K feet" :eek: gave me the inspiration to post this thread!

My problem is similar, well maybe not, but it's still has to do with wind.

Question: Do the fork mounted wind deflectors do much good? I ride an FLHT and get alot of "updraft" behind the fairing.

Come on now, I'm serious! This has nothing to do with blow holes or anything like that!

(I have a feeling that this is another one of those threads that'll I'll regret posting!)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Love them on a RoadKing and would not own one without them. Wish I could try them on the Glide.
Not sure what they would do on a ElectraGlide as far as updraft, but they will definitely deflect rain and windblast off your legs and keep the hard to clean bugs off the side of the engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know what you mean about the updraft from behind the fairing, my Ultra does the same thing. Harley has a part that installs between the forks, matter of fact it was on pre 01 models i think. Anyway it is still available, but I am told that is was removed to help the engine cool better, but don;t take my word for that.
Gary
02 FLHTCUI

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hippo and Vagabond2000.

I'll give them a try and let you know what I think. I'm leaving for Wichita next week and the weather does not look to promising. The deflectors may appriciated more than I think!

Vagabond2000, I believe you are correct about the pre 01 models. I've seen this part advertised in several mags/catalogs. I've got a '00, so it's already on it. Mine is black, but the aftermarket type is chrome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wind problem

i installed a fork baffle on my 2002 flht, only tenty some bucks. did help a little bit. i also installed the fairing deflectors, didn't notice any difference there. thinking about installing chrome wind deflectors but not sure how bike is gonna look, let me know how it looks, thank you.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yooper, I have the fork and fairing deflectors too. I really don't know if the fork deflector works all that well since I've never had it off.

Your comment about not noticing much of a difference in the fairing mounted deflector is true, but I can tell you for a fact that it does make a difference. You don't notice the diffence in "Air Deflection", but you will notice the difference on your pants/chaps. During my last road trip, these deflectors kept several pints of bug juice off of my lower legs!

As for the chrome fork mounted deflectors, I've decided against them. As low as the FLHT fairing is, it just doesn't seem that the chrome deflectors would be all that effective. I haven't found any others with fairings (RoadGlides included) that are using them.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts