V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can put a stock Twin Cam 88 air cleaner on a late model (1998 FLHTC) Evolution 1340cc motor?

I’m running the Screamin’ Eagle air cleaner/breather kit right now, but I’ve found that the increased intake noise bothers me on long trips at freeway speeds (80-85mph, even with earplugs). I’m considering putting my stock box back on with a replacement K&N filter upgrade. However, I’ve read that the TC88 stock box has some advantages over the EVO stock box including more volume (for increased performance and reduced noise), front intake hole (as opposed to back) for cooler air, etc. If the TC88 box will fit my EVO, this seems like the better option (along with the K&N upgrade).

Anybody know if this will work? Any other “tricks” for reducing intake noise?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot to mention.....my motor also has Dynojet carb kit, Andrews EV13 camshaft, and KhromeWerks free-flowing Touring mufflers installed. So, the motor does have a higher air flow requirement than stock.

Do you think either one of the stock airboxes along with the K&N stock replacement filter upgrade will flow enough air? I'm willing to give up some power for less noise. I'll probably have to lower the main jet size (currently 180) and adjust the low speed mixture.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you change the whole assembly, ie the complete airbox, it will fit.

I doubt the difference in airflow from the SE breather element to the stock replacement K&N element or even a brand new paper element is significant on a little engine and even less in an 80"
The difference is that the paper element starts to deteriorate as soon as it is installed and the power gains come in no small part from the venturi shape at the carb throat on the SE back plate.

This is stricly a matter of opinion, but you do get a good enough gut feeling on what air does when you watch it for long enough on all sorts of different shapes on a flowbench.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HIPPO, I always appreciate your advice.

I think I've decided to just go back to my stock EVO airbox with the K&N replacement filter (the simplest and cheapest route).

The more I chase performance with these bikes, the more I see the value in leaving them stock and just RTS:D

You live, you learn:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts