V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 FXDi. I've upgraded to the Harley forward controls which I believe to be the same as the stock/standard Wide Glide forward controls. I want to add floorboards to them because I'm a short fat guy and my groin muscles are KILLING me after about 1-2 hours of riding. I'm wanting to know if anyone has ever tried these or know if they will actually fit my bike? They say they fit clevis style mounts which I think I have. But I thought I'd ask the pro's. Ohh, if anyone else has a better suggestion for floorboards that would fit please let me know!

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=B43C9724-93C6-458B-A5C8-4AAB82B19E9F

·
Quack.
60 Posts
yeah i tried them once

...on my 03 lowrider. they are weird, they stick out way too far and since they are not supported on both ends like real footboards they didn't feel solid to me.

i also tried the police footboard kit but didn't like it because i'm 6'2 and those cop footboards are up to high for me, so that my knees were about 3 inches above the gas tank.

finally went back to the usual forward control setup, using those kuryakyn "iso-wing mini boards" in place of footpegs. these let you move your foot around a little bit. but they're not real footboards, i think if you want that you really have to get some kind of FL.

cheers

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
gtynen said:
i also tried the police footboard kit but didn't like it because i'm 6'2 and those cop footboards are up to high for me, so that my knees were about 3 inches above the gas tank. cheers

Very true....if you are over a 5'9-5'10 I WOULD NOT recommend the police kit...but it works great for us short guys...also...good question MegaGlide....maybe shoulda kept the mids and put highway pegs on?

·
Registered
435 Posts
sjpr13 said:
They might but someone is making the original police kit again (FXDXP). You may want to track that down, they are real comfy if your not real tall...I'm 5'9 and it's a perfect ergo position for me...here's the link for the reproduction kit....

http://masclassics.com/vt/0389.html
That kit is made by V-Twin Mfg. It looks like a dead ringer for the original FXDP kit. I have an original FXDP kit on my 03 FXDL. Works great for me. I am not too fond of the one piece heel/toe shifter but other than that it works great. The $675 for a black kit was higher than Harley sold them for new but they are very hard to find now. Used/abused on ebay they go for $400 and up. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and the fit is nice. My 6' tall 34" inseam brother says they're isn't enough leg room for him. Good luck and stick with the FXDP style kit.

Tim

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
cs1 said:
That kit is made by V-Twin Mfg. It looks like a dead ringer for the original FXDP kit. I have an original FXDP kit on my 03 FXDL. Works great for me. I am not too fond of the one piece heel/toe shifter Tim

Notice that they replaced the one piece heel toe shifter with a two piece shifter....better yet....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Check out http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59835. There is a link there to http://www.kane1.com/trike/ where you will see an 05 FXDi with after market floor boards from J&P. They do stick out WAY too much. But that implementation was a trike, so it's OK. Before it was triked, I scrapped the boards on almost every turn.

Right now, the brake is a little too far in, and my feet tend to sit on the bracket as much as the boards. It's not the best thing. Functional, but barely.

I will probably get those new remake boards for the police bike in a year or so. Gotta upgrade the seat this year.

·
Banned
871 Posts

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
ToddM said:
If you want comfort without using floorboards, you could try the Kuryakyn Switchblade pegs, or one of their other sets that have the heel rests. I use the Switchblades and they are very comfortable, even on 500+ a day rides. They also cost less than half the price of floorboards and look great! :banana:
If you don't like the floorboard look the switchblades are probably your best bet. But the floorboards are much more comfortable IMHO...I've had both

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, lot of responses! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post! Had a lot of riding to do this weekend while it was nice out. I removed the brake lever from my mid-controls and remounted them with the passenger pegs so I could ride this weekend comfortably. To answer your question about why I went with the forward controls when I'm short it's because I didn't think it was going to be uncomfortable. I sat on a bike with the controls and it felt fine to me. I could reach them. I didn't take into account that actually going down the road with acceleration and wind that my feet wouldn't stay on well. Lesson learned. Nonetheless I love the look and the mid-controls are not that much more comfortable for me either.

As far as the police kit goes I wasn't looking to spend that much money to fix my little problem. Had I realized I would run into this I probably would have spent the money on the police kit but now that I'm 300 bucks into this I can't justify the money.

I am a bit concerned with how the boards will feel. Gtynen explained they didn't feel solid which I imagined might happen. Not to mention them being too "big". The kuryakyn solution might be an option. Those are nice looking pegs and pretty cheap. The other option I see from looking at the trike pictures (Which by the way I had seen before but saw that the boards were mounted on the mid controls.) is to mount the boards on the mid controls. Then I'd have to sell the controls on ebay or perhaps return for restock fee and store credit. Looking at the trike pictures I'm trying to imagine them mounted on the forward controls but I keep thinking disaster during the twisties. :( Matter of fact, unless I have a trike those things look like a spill waiting to happen! Man this is frustrating!

Here's what I'm going to do. I have a buddy who has a wide glide with the forward controls. He mounted the floor boards on them. He comes back in town this week. I'll see if he'll let me ride his and see how they feel. Perhaps then I can make a decision. :wacko:

·
Banned
871 Posts
kRiZ said:
Wow, lot of responses! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post! Had a lot of riding to do this weekend while it was nice out. I removed the brake lever from my mid-controls and remounted them with the passenger pegs so I could ride this weekend comfortably. To answer your question about why I went with the forward controls when I'm short it's because I didn't think it was going to be uncomfortable. I sat on a bike with the controls and it felt fine to me. I could reach them. I didn't take into account that actually going down the road with acceleration and wind that my feet wouldn't stay on well. Lesson learned. Nonetheless I love the look and the mid-controls are not that much more comfortable for me either.

As far as the police kit goes I wasn't looking to spend that much money to fix my little problem. Had I realized I would run into this I probably would have spent the money on the police kit but now that I'm 300 bucks into this I can't justify the money.

I am a bit concerned with how the boards will feel. Gtynen explained they didn't feel solid which I imagined might happen. Not to mention them being too "big". The kuryakyn solution might be an option. Those are nice looking pegs and pretty cheap. The other option I see from looking at the trike pictures (Which by the way I had seen before but saw that the boards were mounted on the mid controls.) is to mount the boards on the mid controls. Then I'd have to sell the controls on ebay or perhaps return for restock fee and store credit. Looking at the trike pictures I'm trying to imagine them mounted on the forward controls but I keep thinking disaster during the twisties. :( Matter of fact, unless I have a trike those things look like a spill waiting to happen! Man this is frustrating!

Here's what I'm going to do. I have a buddy who has a wide glide with the forward controls. He mounted the floor boards on them. He comes back in town this week. I'll see if he'll let me ride his and see how they feel. Perhaps then I can make a decision. :wacko:
If you go with the Switchblades, here's a tip that worked for me..... When I first installed them, I assembled them "dry" and one of them worked loose when I was standing on them going over a bump. The best thing to do is to be sure you use Loctite on the mounting screws (I use the medium stuff), and I use the green Loctite in the area between the peg and the mounting bracket (where you adjust the angle). The green Loctite is used to fill the space between bearings, bushings, etc., locking them in place. It takes about 20 minutes to set up, but I let it set overnight to be sure. Oh yeah... clean all the surfaces with Acetone or brake cleaner first! Do all this then torque the hardware well and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Some of the dealers that move a lot of police bikes usually have take-off parts. Try Zylstra HD for floorboards off an FXDP.

My wife didnt like the heel/toe shifter on her FXDP. replaced it with a toe shifter that fit my RK. Lines right up for her.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
sjpr13 said:
They might but someone is making the original police kit again (FXDXP). You may want to track that down, they are real comfy if your not real tall...I'm 5'9 and it's a perfect ergo position for me...here's the link for the reproduction[/URL]
Yeah, but hang on to your wallet, they run almost $700.00

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
US Ranger said:
Some of the dealers that move a lot of police bikes usually have take-off parts. Try Zylstra HD for floorboards off an FXDP.

My wife didnt like the heel/toe shifter on her FXDP. replaced it with a toe shifter that fit my RK. Lines right up for her.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of checking on used parts.

Mental thought: "I wonder if having police floorboards would help me get out of a ticket...."

If I end up not liking the forward controls I will sell them on ebay. It's probably the only place I can get a decent amount for them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
sthorp said:
Yeah, but hang on to your wallet, they run almost $700.00
That's full retail, most small shops will deal with you if you're a regular customer. You should be able to get them for $500-$600 range. Harley charged about $600 new for the kit and it hasn't been available since 2003.

Tim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Question on the boards. Are they the same from the evo years vs the twin cam years? A local dealer has a set and says they won't fit my bike as a person tried to put them on a [ not sure of the year] 02 up lowrider and would not fit. I didn't think to ask.

The kit is not available but most of the parts are, except for the heel toe shifter. Cost with all hardware $640.00 but don't remember if that was with a discount or not. I don't have that listed on my parts list.

Mike

EDIT; I did not put together the parts list I'm using, Someone else did. All I did was check to see what is still available

·
Banned
871 Posts
Mike514 said:
Question on the boards. Are they the same from the evo years vs the twin cam years? A local dealer has a set and says they won't fit my bike as a person tried to put them on a [ not sure of the year] 02 up lowrider and would not fit. I didn't think to ask.

The kit is not available but most of the parts are, except for the heel toe shifter. Cost with all hardware $640.00 but don't remember if that was with a discount or not. I don't have that listed on my parts list.

Mike

EDIT; I did not put together the parts list I'm using, Someone else did. All I did was check to see what is still available
WOW! That's a lot of green! You can get a much better deal going aftermarket rather than through the stealership!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts