V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2001 Softtail Standard in July. Took the battery out for the winter. Today I checked the battery and amps/volts were perfect. I installed the battery and all lights, accessories...etc. work fine, but the bike will not start. It won't even turn over. I called the dealer. They had no clue. Told me to bring it in.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yep, check yer Kill switch. By the way if that is it, you are not the first. When ya read this, go check it and let me know.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Made ya look! ( Just jokin sorry)

I suppose the starter could be toast. Seen a few of em on the new bikes that did not stand up. To be honest, The Hippo is probably one of the best sources here to pose the question to.

I'll buzz the Brother and see what he says.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
What happens when you have the ignition switch on, the run switch on and you press the start button?

Does the headlite dim?
Do you hear a click from the starter relay?
Do you hear a click from the solenoid?

If you are careful and make sure the bike is in neutral, ignition and run switch on, take a little piece of wire and jump from the big terminal on the solenoid where the battery cable bolts on and the little terminal on the solenoid where the thin green wire is plugged in. Bike should at least try to crank. If it doesn't what does the headlite do when you jump it?

How did you check the voltage and amperage of the battery and what was the reading?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Just ONE of the reasons why I love my brother. Always ready to help. He is a good man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not starting

Thanks guys. Hippo, I'm going to try your test tomorrow. To answer your question, when ignition and run are on, and I press start, nothing cranks, there are no sounds at all, and the lights do not dim. I checked all wires for damage and nothing was found.

I used a neighbors volt/amp meter got 12.8 volts & 20 amps.

By the way....I do not have a security system so that's not the problem.

406 miles on bike!!!

thanks

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
While in hybernation, did you by any chance cahnge anything? ( Grips, covers, etc?)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try putting the bike in gear and rocking it a little with the starter button engaged. Just be ready to grab the clutch if it starts. This sounds lame but it works sometimes. I guess the starter brushes stay in one spot for so long they form a little rust from condensation and loose connection. I washed mine one time and put it up for a long period without running it and heating it up. The same thing happened. I checked all the basics and performed the above and it started. Mine was making a faint click so I knew it was trying but just couldn't go through with it. I haven't had a problem since. I do heat it up and dry it out good after washing it now.

After setting here and reading this I think it could have been one cylinder on the compression stroke and a not so strong battery from setting so long. Who knows what it was. I just make sure I ride it a little more often now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You didnt by chance wash the bike before you put it away?
If your ignition module got wet it may not allow the bike to start ( sounds corny but I tell you this from personal experiance)

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts