V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a take-off body set (gas tank, front fender and rear fender) from a 2003 FXST and fitting it to my 2000 FXST. Can anyone confirm if these parts will bolt straight on?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I think in 03 the softails went to a 1/2 inch wider rear fender when the stock rear tire went from a 130 to a 150. I don't know if there is a difference in the fender struts or frame horn width. Make sure the tank is carb style for a carbed bike or F.I. for F.I.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It will fit

Fenders are the same width. As far as the wider tire on the '03 and up, the fender has different a bolt setup. There is a threaded plate on the inside in the newer fenders that eliminate putting nuts on the bolts. However, I put a 150 tire on my '01 Heritage by simply putting a washer on the outside of the fender bolts that keep the bolts from going any farther than the face of the nut, or you can put the fender bold on from inside the fender and use an acorn nut on the outside.

You can put a FI tank on a carb model but can not put a carb model on a FI.
To put a FI tank on a carb bike you will either have to fabricate a plate to cover the large opening and use a stud in the plate to bolt the dash on, or if you don't mind spending the money, get a fuel guage setup from an '04 model. 2004 and up tanks are the same for carb or FI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts