V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anybody knows if Harley will discontinue the "anniversary" 2 tone silver and black paint past the 2003 model year.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I believe it's only for '03

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I just bought a 2 tone Sportster. If the salesman was being honest it will be discontinued. He claims it was for the anniversary year only. He also told me it is the hottest seller so who knows. Maybe the Moco will keep making them to get more money.

·
Banned
490 Posts
2-tone paint, etc.

In addition to the two-tone paint scheme, all the Anniversary models (even those painted "regular" colors) have a bar and shield cast into the crankcase. Harley did this to prevent folks from taking Harleys from other years and repainting and rebadging them to create "fake" Anniversary models.

I would sincerely doubt that Harley will continue offering the two-tone paint scheme beyond the Anniversary model year. They've already committed to 14 months worth of production - I think they know thats enough.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A variation of the black and silver has already been produced by Harley in Past years... Not exactly the same but very close and besides that the variation was not wide spread across all models.... I believe(actual) anniversary color/s :black/silver and gunmetal with the aniversary stripping will be retired ..... but again variations with show up in the future...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I hope not, I thought it was butt ugly and just an excuse to jack up the price another grand.

An EXTRA grand for THAT paint job? I don't think so.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I was kind of disappointed they didn't offer more colors than they did. Not overly impressed with any of the colors for 2003. No offense to those who bought one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was told by a dealer owner the Silver/Black nubmers where going to be reduced. The paint is much harder to lay down than they thought. It will not be continued into 04.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was debating whether to get the two tone or the solid black ... I opted for the solid black for a few reasons. First, since the silver can only be sprayed on by a special gun developed specifically for that one color, any problems such as scratches or dings can only be repaired at the factory. Local paint shops won't be able to deal with it ($$$$$). Secondly, a friend who has a previous anniversary paint scheme (95th?) told me that the factory has discontinued the paint for his model so he can't even get the paint to have a local ship fix whatever he needs fixed, leading me to believe it will be a nightmare down the road anyway you look at it if you have a problem with the silver. Thirdly, I am just not fond enough of the color combo to cough up the extra money--I think the black looks as good and to me, even a little better. I put the savings into the new oil cooler and heated grips.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Silver trouble

I'm picking up my 03 silver and black Road Glide this afternoon. I noticed a small grey dot on the fairing that was slightly different. Talked to the salesman about it and they had already ordered a new fairing for it because they can't match the color. He also mentioned it was a problem with laying down the silver paint, so there must be something to that... I had originally ordered the gunmetal, but when I saw the RG in silver and black I had to have it. Don't like the color scheme on the heritage though, so depends on the bike to me. I figure the extra $1000 I spent on the paint and wheels will always hold it's value in the bike...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
That (and sick of seeing so many Gunmetal Pearl Fatboys) are the reasons why I am getting a new paint set for my bike :D

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
Unome said:
I was kind of disappointed they didn't offer more colors than they did. Not overly impressed with any of the colors for 2003. No offense to those who bought one.
I'm not wild about them either. I hate to cough up the extra $$ for the two tone and may go black or gunmetal because I plan on getting a custom paint job next winter anyway.

·
Registered
659 Posts
To each his own I guess. I got the 2 tone on my Heritage and think it looks great - and it for sure draws a lot more attention than most custom paint jobs on the street.
The King's going to be straight black - only because the silver and black cruisers coming into Canada were sold out over a year ago.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry!

Didn't mean anything derogatory about your Heritage! Maybe I'm biased as I had 2 sell my black 02 Heritage to get the Road Glide. I was pretty partial to that bike, but wanted to have an opportunity to get a 100th Anniv.... :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
no prob! They both look great - you're going to enjoy the heck out of it, and regardless what anybody says, it is a sharp looking bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've got a '03 two tone Ultra and I absolutely love it. I guess I got one of the good ones, because there is not any flaws in the paint anywhere on this bike, and I have checked it very close. As far as anyone else liking it, I could care less, I bought it to ride, and what a sweet ride it is......

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My Stealer told me ..that after this year is over you won't be able to buy any 100 year Anniversary stuff.. you know like derby covers, etc..any thing with the 100 year logo's for on yer bike.. I have a hard time believing that...any body else been told the same..?? I think it's B.S.. but what do I know...

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've been told the same thing by both dealers that I know. As a matter of fact, anniversary stuff is already being backordered and "out of stocked", up here in the North Land :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts