V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about how the wild things 2 cams can produce good torque at lower rpms with thier relatively late closing and long intake duration. It seems to go against the common wisdom about cam design. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
AAL said:
I'm curious about how the wild things 2 cams can produce good torque at lower rpms with thier relatively late closing and long intake duration. It seems to go against the common wisdom about cam design. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
You might want to ask that question of MSN, Harley Tech Talk, TC 88 group (HTT). For a while it was nicked name WTT, WildThing Tech Talk because of the cams Designer being a member of that Board/Group and the ;[email protected]; manner these cams were introduced to that board. Mike Roland of WT will answer your question. Now the one complaint some owners of WT cam builds complaine about is lack of low end Torque. Latest comments I've seen about WT cam TQ is to call it linear TQ and that makes the bike easier to handle as power comes on more linear than the peaky TQ cams other mfg's offer. Note no head work on both graph descriptions? I've yet to hear of anyone who could make 100HP by bolting a set in a 95" build and doing a great tuning job. Down shifting is another key word the cams designer uses. In other words use gearing mechanical advantage instead of TQ in the 2200-3500 rpm range.

WT cams could in fact go from 2500 rpm to 6000 rpms in less time than the peaky TQ cams on WOT runs but they don't seem to have the 2200-4500 fun factor of the peaky TQ cams. My -2$en#e-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts