V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the wild pig slip-ons with the 1 3/4" baffles. I also have the SE stage 1 air filter and PowerCommander USB, all on a Road King Custom '05. I downloaded the appropriate map (M807-059) from their website. Got terrible popping on the decel. Searched the forum....found out first thing I needed to do was look for exhaust leaks. Soooooo........found big ones where the slip-ons meet the head pipes. So off to the auto store to get high-temp exhaust sealant and to the local dealer for some new muffler clamps. Much to my surprise they tell me that they are an "obsolete item" and therefore "discontinued"...WTF?.......It's a standard muffler clamp....and it's off an '05 bike?.......obsolete?........but lucky for me...:huh: they had some in the attic. No sheet....the poor kid had to pull down some attic stairs in the parts department and climb on up...insulation and all......LOL......anyway......that's another rant......back to the exhaust....So I goes home and puts on the silicone and new clamps. I wait the perscribed 24 hours and go for a spin. Pipes are noticably quieter (which is OK...) and has a hell of alot more bass......(which is very OK). But guess what?....Still the popping on the decel. So I searched again. I enriched the map by up to 30% from idle to 20% throttle and up to 3000 rpm. Still no change. So I searched again. Found a post where a fella said that the popping was from air being sucked into the left muffler. Makes sense.......My main question is ...who else has the wild pigs and stock head pipes?...Do you have the popping? Or better yet....has anyone went to the true duals and the popping went away? I'm eventually going to the duals but I'm not sure I want to spent the cash and find out it didn't fix my problems. I guess as a last resort the pipes can go...but I love their sound at idle, accelerating, and at speed. Just suck when you have to slow down. I also am waiting for a response for Power Commander to see if the map they have on their website is for a different size baffles.....I'll have to wait and see on that one..Thanks ...........

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
807-059 is for '02-'04 touring bikes.

You want to use 807-158 for your set up. That is what Dynojet told me to use for that combo.

I just installed a set of Wild Pigs 1 3/4", Ness Big Sucker, and a PCIIIusb on a friends Road Glide. He had some popping on decel, so he brought it back and I added some fuel in the low end.

In the "0" throttle position column, I put the 500, 750, 1000 at 5. I put the 1250, 1500, 1750 at 7. I put the 2000, 2250, and 2500 at 10.

That took care of all his popping on decel.

Steve

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks aton Maine ultra classic...........As soon as I get home from work tomorrow I'll try what u suggested...........I'll post again with an update........

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
MaineUC,
I was wondering why they would sugest the -158 map instead of the -059?

I had the -059 map in mine with the same setup and had minimal poping. Just when I let the throttle snap back from getting on it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well......tried the new map with the suggested settings. Very little difference. But.....I did get my response from Power Commander.....

At the time we made this map, this was the only baffle diameter available to us. I do not know what the baffle diameter was on these slip-ons, but it should not make a huge difference in mapping. Popping on decel is normal, especially with open pipes and if you are using the stock headers. The left pipe acts as an exhaust leak as the exhaust tends to flow past the 90 degree bend at the rear head and suck air back in from the left pipe. It is difficult to eliminate popping if using the stock headers. If you have already tried adding fuel in the 0% throttle column, there is not much left to do in the PC to decrease popping.

Thanks,

Manny Hauswirth
Technical and Race Support
Dynojet Research
www.dynojet.com
800-992-4993

So.....It looks like I'll either be getting new slip ons or getting the duals....(maybe both :rolleyes: ).

RK05.......My popping is anytime I'm off the throttle.....be it agressive down shifting or coasting to a stop from 5th gear. It's annoying especially when I'm putting around in a parking lot at minimal speed and rpm. Roll off the throttle for just a second......and there she is.......

Anyway thanks for the help......if anybody else has any more suggestions...I'm open...

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
RK05 said:
MaineUC,
I was wondering why they would sugest the -158 map instead of the -059?

I had the -059 map in mine with the same setup and had minimal poping. Just when I let the throttle snap back from getting on it.
-059 is made for '02-'04 bikes that all had the same head design. The '05 models have a new head design, therefore there are a whole new batch of maps for them. The -158 map is for Samson Rolled Thunder, which have a very similar baffle size and design like the Wild Pigs.

When I had Wild Pigs, I ran -158 map with the same settings I described in my previous post.....all decel popping gone. My friends bike has the same map with the same settings.......and actually my old Wild Pigs.........and he has no decel popping.

Steve

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Hammy71 said:
Well......tried the new map with the suggested settings. Very little difference.
Increase the settings......take the 5's to 10's, the 7's to 15's, and the 10's to 20's.

Play with the settings until it's gone.........there is no exact science about getting rid of decel popping.

True duals will make the Wild Pigs loud.........very loud. I've been there, done that........and hated the results.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I'm gonna try the -158 this weekend. I had altered the -059 since I did the 95" kit w/o cams and I am still on the lean side. From quickly comparing the two maps the -158 is deffinetly richer. Tonight when I have time I'm gonna do a side by side look at the maps and make a custom one to try.

MaineUC, you thought that the pipes were too loud with true duals. I was thinking about getting V&H head pipes for true duals because I like the looks. My other option was a Thunderheader. Do you think your true dual setup was louder than a thunderheader?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well.....doubled the numbers for 0 throttle.....then tripled them....still there. Ah well......was going to go duals anyway....I'll try'em with the pigs. If they're too loud...then I'll just have to get others. The buying of toys never ends!!! (and the selling the pigs on ebay if I need too...shouldn't be to hard).

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
RK05 said:
MaineUC, you thought that the pipes were too loud with true duals. I was thinking about getting V&H head pipes for true duals because I like the looks. My other option was a Thunderheader. Do you think your true dual setup was louder than a thunderheader?
When I had my True Duals with Wild Pigs........no one wanted to be behind me. It was way too loud for them and for me.....I could barely hear the radio at all.

I now have a Thunderheader 2-1, and it's great. It will bark if wanted, but under normal riding conditions it is very mellow. At highway speeds it is just a deep rumble and I can hear the radio fine.

True duals make any pipes louder.........it's just how it is. People are even saying that true duals are making the S&S SPO's loud......I they are barely louder then stock.

Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just put on a set of samson True duals on my 03 flhrpi (Bought a set of 123's on Ebay for $200 and converted them to the new style mounts) and with the wild pigs I thought the were a bit to loud but after pulling the baffles and repacking them it appears they are just right. and also the popping has been greatly reduced to almost 0. rc2004 has a great power commander map in the efI map forum you can use search to find it

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well thanks for the vote of confidence.

I have installed a few wild pigs on road kings around here , My best friend has a 05 road king custom with pigs and has not a hint of popping.

I really don't understand how some people have problems while others have none.

Maybe I have been Lucky but I will give some advice on the pigs....... Before installing them take a rotozip tool or a file and open up (widen) the pinch slot that the muffler clamp sits on. I always use only Harley clamps and they are not reusable so throw away the old ones and buy new ones.I find if you do not widen the slot it does not pinch down enough to seal. If you remove the pigs after they have been on for a while you will see that the slots were not cut wide enough to allow the slot to compress enough to seal(the tips on the slot hit each other ).

The map I have custom made is for a STOCK ECM bike only .

Lumpy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your welcome. I had forgot about the clamp slots but you were right about that to. they wouldnt clamp tight enough so out comes the handy ziz wheel and I increased the slot only the wheel wide, clamps great now.:thanks:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hammy71 I would bet a dollar you still have a exhaust leak. Hold your hands over the ends of the mufflers and listen. If there is a leak your'e going to hear it. Its been my experience that any aftermarket slipons I have used are a little loose on the left pipe. good luck and don't give up yet!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
MaineUC, thanks for the feedback on the TH. I don't like the bike to be real loud so for now the pigs work but I guess if I go duals that sounds like it won't be the case. I may just get the TH since it will give me some more power:wootdnc:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMoffat said:
Hammy71 I would bet a dollar you still have a exhaust leak. Hold your hands over the ends of the mufflers and listen. If there is a leak your'e going to hear it. Its been my experience that any aftermarket slipons I have used are a little loose on the left pipe. good luck and don't give up yet!
I'll check for leaks again. I pretty much siliconed every joint but the slip-on slots sound interesting. Lets see......tomorrow is Saturday.....gonna rain anyway so I'll head down to the local steeler and get some new clamps.....(have to send the parts dude up to the attic again!!! :D ). Then I'll get out the die-grinder and widen the slots on the slip-ons. Worth a shot. I'll check all the joints again too......Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
'05 Road King, VH true Duals, Wild Pigs 1 3/4", Screamin Eagle air cleaner, & Power Commander. I had all the same problems with popping. I tried different maps different settings with no better results. The popping only went away when I installed the true duals. Repacking the baffles was the only fix before that but it doesn't last long. Did not notice a large increase in volume when I installed the True Duals only more of a "stereo" effect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried the 807-158 map yesterday. Bike seemed to run better but fuel mileage went to hell. 119 miles and low fuel light came on. With wild pig map it was more in the 160 mile range.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Food for thought -
I installed the Fullsac True dual set-up along with 1 3/4 Wild Pigs on my FLHT (along with a Big Sucker cleaner and rejetting to #46 slo, raising the needle .050" and adjusting the idle mix) and have zero decel popping, no carb farts or stumbling. Granted mine is a carb set-up but the point I'm making is that as long as there are no leaks (have someone stuff a rag over the muffler ends while you listen to each joint to see if you can anything) and if the mixture is dialed-in correctly, it will run right, sound right and run strong.

As for the volume of True Duals and Wild Pigs - yes, it definitely increases the sound level (but oh what a wonderful sound it produces).

For the sake of my neighbors at 0530 when I head off to work, I made a "lollipop" for each muffler by attaching a 1" flat washer to an eyebbolt which is installed in place of the existing baffle bolt. The washer is centered in the baffle opening and it does a decent job of suppressing any harshness while still maintaing the rumble and tone that Wild Pigs produce - CWO

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well......I spent all weekend in the garage. I took off every heat shield and checked for leaks with a lighter.........found a small one at the left slip on where it connects to the head pipe. Replaced the clamp with a new one and did my best Michealangelo with the exhaust sealant silicone. Let it set for the 24hrs and started her up. No leaks. Went out for a spin........same sheet. So last night (Sunday) I went ahead and ordered the V&H true duals from Eastern Performance (free shipping!!). I really wanted duals anyway so I'll give it a try. Not sure if I'll keep the pigs. If they are "ignorant" loud I may try something a little more mellow. Thanks for all the advise. I'll keep ya all posted on how it works out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts