V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just put Wild Pig mufflers on his 99EG Classic(carb). Now they pop once every time he lets off the throttle to change gear. We have not bothered the carb. Can this be cured with a simple adjustment or will he have to rejet? Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks like you never got an answer. Was your brother able to get this problem corrected? Have mine installed on a 2002 ElectraGlide and have encountered the backfiring, but have not had much of a chance to delve into it, since they are only a week old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have not attempted to solve the popping with the wild pigs, but one responder on another forum said his popped with fuel injection. Another said that the crossover exhaust pipe needed plugging to create a true dual exhaust. I'm thinking a simple mixture adjustment would help but my brother has not tried this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Changing jets should fix it.
I have them on a 2000 Ultra stage 1 95" it poped just a little, but now I've put a PCII on it and it doesnt pop at all.
Now some time , if it warms up again I can drag the puter out and hook it up and put the right program in it. Just got the stock one on the PCII now but it works better.
But with highs in the low 40's and rain I dont think I'll got much tweeking in done till spring.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
RCargile: Has the carb been rejetted at all? Mixture screw adjustment might help. Installing a bolt into the end of the muffler to break up the exhaust flow used to help with that kind of popping.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The bike has stage one on it, I have the chip. On PC's web site they have a lot of downloads for stage one and two. I just need to find out what to put on the PC since the bike already is a stage one. I emailed them twice and so far they haven't got back.
But I can keep bothering them all winter, it looks like any long rides are over for this year . It runs ok now but it could run better, I hope

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unlike RCargile's brother, I spent the last three days wrestling with the exhaust on my FLHT and my Wild Pigs. The W.P. company was very helpful in diagnosing the popping and performance, their concern was laudable. First, the baffles need to have their slots covered with the fiberglass packing to prevent or reduce the popping. The stock carb has the stock main jet, slow jet of 48, and the slide/needle raised with a 20 mm Yamaha shim, the idle mixture is two turns open.
At this point the exhaust has a nice mellow tone, and looks great. The response is crisp and revs readily to 4400 where it becomes more difficult to increase and tops out at 5000. The popping and/or backfiring is only on heavy deceleration and is more pleasing being more muffled and rumble sounding. Don't know if the low rev range is due to an overly rich or lean condition. I had to quit as the temps and rain began to come down, and the Interstate traffic got nasty. Hope some of this is helpful, and maybe a starting point for more knowledgable types.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have found the Wild Pigs to have a little more tendency to pop than some others. They are very open pipes and should benefit from richening the mixture.

shooter

·
Registered
116 Posts
wild pig

Shooter said:
I have found the Wild Pigs to have a little more tendency to pop than some others. They are very open pipes and should benefit from richening the mixture.

shooter
how loud are these pipes? I have found a good price on these but do not want something loud. I just want to change the tone and go up just a bit on the volume.

·
Registered
458 Posts
On my bagger there about the same as a friends V&H on his bagger. They are quieter than my sporty with the center knocked out of the stock mufflers. With the bike idleing in the garage you can still stand behind it and carry on a normal conversation, and going down the road you can still hear the one on the back talking. :confused: maybe I need louder pipes. :D
I think you will be happy with them, unless you want quiet like stock.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Try this...

Fatten up the jets one up from stock, pull the welsch plug and adjust the idle mixture remembering the number of turns in to lightly seated from the original setting(which is usually 1 1/2). Try 2 to 3 turns out from lightly seated. Once the engine begins to idle rough or falter, go back in 1/2 turn or until it smooths out. Note; engine must be at operating temp to adj. idle mixture. You may need to shim the needle or run a sportster needle.

Go to www.nightrider.com and peruse the site for info on the CV. Disregard drilling the vacuum port in the slide and cutting the spring... Obsolete info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts