V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide between the two. Does anyone have these on their Roadking? What are positives or negatives between the two? I'm 6' tall and currently use the 518's.
Appreciate any help. Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 12" on my RK. They are a great fit for me. I am 6' and they set a little below shoulder level with a Mustang solo.
One thing, these bars are wide I think slow speed turning would be tough with the 16".

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I have the 16" on mine. I'm 6'1" and they are right at shoulder height.

Slow speed turning is kind of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I have 14" apes on mine. They have a 14" center as well. Talk about wide.. Ha
Anyway, love the looks and feel but slow turn arounds can be tough. I'm changing mine out to a 12" set very soon.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I have 12's and love them. 5'11, perfect fit for me. Looks good and feels much better than standard bars. 16's would be a little to high for me. I wouldn't want my arms to far above my heart for those long rides.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ljar302 said:
16" apes on an Ultra Classic? I gotta see a pic of that!

No I was talking about the Road King. I rode a buddy of mine's RK with Corbin seat and 16" apes.... DELUXE COMFORT!!

So good I went home and took off my recently installed Chubby Road King II bars and ordered 16's for my Heritage. For long distance riding you can't beat them. Not any harder to maneuver than any others for me.

Everyone asks me the same thing that I used to ask before I rode that RK.... "how do you ride with those things" ... "Aren't they uncomfortable"... "Don't your arms go to sleep" .... PLEEEEEEASE!!!

Sitting on that RK was the most comfortable and natural position I ever experienced on a bike.

Maybe all those years putting my hands in the air got me used to it. :hystria:

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
How bout we post some pic's so the original poster can get a better idea as to how these things look?

Here's mine:
14" Chubby Apes.

(by the way, does anyone know how to repost a picture that you already posted in another thread? It wont let me do that for some reason..)

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
480 Posts
I have had a set of 12" and 16" apes (of course, not at the same time) on my Road King Classic, but opted to stay with the 16" bars for rider comfort. Both bars are great for long distance riding, but at 6'2", the added rise of the 16" bar was a selling point for me. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts