V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of changing out my stock Heritage bars to Wild 1 12.5" Apes (WO502). Anybody who's made this change care to comment on resulting bar vibration? Is it more, less, or unchanged? I'm not changing risers or moving from stock bushings- only changing the bars (not mirrors, controls, grips, etc.). I appreciate the feedback.
 

·
DHARMA Initiative
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
With the 12.5, you should not be able to tell a difference. If anything it should be less. The Wild 1 bars are heavy duty and very nice. I have the 20's on my Springer, 6 inch risers that are solid mount and I have no vibration.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
198 Posts
jockeyshift said:
With the 12.5, you should not be able to tell a difference. If anything it should be less. The Wild 1 bars are heavy duty and very nice. I have the 20's on my Springer, 6 inch risers that are solid mount and I have no vibration.
I am thinking about the Wild 1 16's for my '04 Springer. Never riden with apes and still have the stock bars. How are they for comfort on 250 - 300 mile rides or more? Just seems a Springer looks best with Apes.
 

·
DHARMA Initiative
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
ljar302 said:
I am thinking about the Wild 1 16's for my '04 Springer. Never riden with apes and still have the stock bars. How are they for comfort on 250 - 300 mile rides or more? Just seems a Springer looks best with Apes.
@gree: with your last statement!! As far as comfort, I guess what bothers me the most is the wind on long distance trips. Granted, I can still travel tank full to tank full. With 20's your out there like a parachute and you do catch a lot of wind. I had 16's prior to the 20's and never had any problems with long distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
davefitch said:
Thanks JS.

Anybody else?
I switched to the WO515's on my Heritage, no vibration or any rideability issues. Great riding position for the wrists. Love the bars!

It's just a PITA to install, that's all.
 

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
Joined
·
480 Posts
davefitch said:
Thinking of changing out my stock Heritage bars to Wild 1 12.5" Apes (WO502). Anybody who's made this change care to comment on resulting bar vibration? Is it more, less, or unchanged? I'm not changing risers or moving from stock bushings- only changing the bars (not mirrors, controls, grips, etc.). I appreciate the feedback.
I've had the 12.5" and currently have the 16" apes on my Road King Classic. At 6'2", I find the apes are most comfortable for me. Having ridden my bike on long distance rides between VA and FL, NC, NY, WI, and completed 1K-mile Iron Butt ride in 18 hours (continuous), I can honestly say experienced no issues with the bike or personal comfort.

Just a thought to consider. I too started out not changing the stock riser bushings. I found that the stock bushings worked great with the low handlebars (up to 8.5" tall), but noticed some "un-nerving" swaying after I went to the apes, especially on turns and stopping. In my opinion, the stock bushings are not firm enough to handle the weight/lenght of the taller apes, so I eventually installed the HD poly riser bushings (simple install, but requires you to remove the handlebars to gain access to riser and bushings). This modification made a world of difference...no more swaying! Either way you decide to go, stock or poly bushing, you should not experience any noticable difference with vibration in the handlebars.

Last piece of advice, if you currently have a two-piece handlebar clamp (like on the touring models), replace the stock clamps with a one-piece clamp. The Chubby bars (1.25" diameter), like numerous others, are designed for install on stock risers (1" diameter). The center area, where the handlebar is clamped to the bike, is stepped down from 1.25" to 1", making this area the weakest point of the handlebar (stomp, stomp!!!). The one-piece clamp will re-enforce this area (recommended by Chubby).
 

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
Joined
·
455 Posts
For anybody thinking of getting apes, they are horrible and uncomfortable. Your back will constantly hurt, your neck will get kinks, and you will loose all low speed control of your bike. That is my standard answer for people asking questions about apes. look at my ride on my homepage, i know what I am talking about.

With that being said, I love mine (they are the best thing I have ever done to my bike) There are just too many ass hats putting them on their bikes after watching biker build off.

rodriguc is right, your gonna want to at least upgrade your bushings. You will get more play in the handle bars than I found comfortable if you leave the stock ones in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great feedback, guys. I'll take rodriguc's advice and replace the bushings- I was wondering if I should, and while I've got the bars off I might as well upgrade, huh? I'm using the stock 1-piece top clamp on the heritage so I'm guessing I'll be in good shape.
 

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
Joined
·
480 Posts
davefitch said:
Thanks for the great feedback, guys. I'll take rodriguc's advice and replace the bushings- I was wondering if I should, and while I've got the bars off I might as well upgrade, huh? I'm using the stock 1-piece top clamp on the heritage so I'm guessing I'll be in good shape.
Good call on the bushing, you won't be sorry! Sounds like your good-to-go on the handlebar clamp. Good luck and let us know what you think about the apes once you've had time to install and put some miles on them.

FYI. I too had the Heritage bars at one time and enjoyed the hand positioning...felt a hell of a lot more comfortable than the stock RKC bars. Unfortunitely, the Heritage bars didn't have enough pull back or rise for my personal comfort, so I went with the Chubby 12.5" apes. I've only known of one rider to ever turn back from apes. He positioned his bars as far forward as his arms could reach (arms locked at the elbow), then wondered why he had trouble manuvering on turns, especially at slower speeds. Hmmm!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
198 Posts
jockeyshift said:
@gree: with your last statement!! As far as comfort, I guess what bothers me the most is the wind on long distance trips. Granted, I can still travel tank full to tank full. With 20's your out there like a parachute and you do catch a lot of wind. I had 16's prior to the 20's and never had any problems with long distance.
Thanks, Think I will order the 16's.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top